Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Read this about wolves

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Read this about wolves

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Unlike MT, WY and ID, we've always had wolves here in NE and now most northern MN. But their numbers got so far out of whack (high), when the feds, courts and greenies stuck their noses into it and stop all controls of their population. I hope with recent de-listing that our state can once again maintain a reasonable wolf pop. which will help us avoid the wide swings in deer and moose population we have now, due to the high number of wolves.
actually like muliefever said we have always had wolves in idaho long before they pushed the canadian wolves on us. anybody who doesnt believe that never spent enough time in the backcountry to find out. they avoided man and they were relatively small numbers and they were held in check. but the canadian wolves are bigger, more aggressive, and they do not fear man and they have run uncontrolled for 12 years. they have hadvery little threat from man and hardly any competition for food and their numbers have gotten out of control and the elk and deer herds have suffered.

are the wolves in minnesota native?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Read this about wolves

As someone who has spent hundreds of days a year for 30 years in the mountains of Idaho, when I see with my own eyes what has happened to our elk it makes me want to sit and weep. They have absolutly let the wolves run out of control, in our winter grounds where you used to see elk herds in the hundreds, now you see herds of ten or less. It sounds like we will be able to hunt wolves this fall, but it is too late, and it will be decades before our herd numbers rebound. I enjoy hearing the occassional wolf in the mountains, but it has got to the point where all you see and hear are wolves, the official wolf counts are absurdly low, they are thicker than fly's in central Idaho. Now we have them all around our towns, and as much as I believe the Educated Officials that wolves don't attack people, I am not betting my childrens lives on it, so it has really affected how we as a family enjoy the outdoors together. When I was a child I explored the river valleys and woods near town with my dog and pellet rifle, which in my parents minds was enough to keep the bears and cougars at bay, but now my kids will not get to do as much of this, since wolves hunt in packs, and instead of the family dog being a protector, it is now the bait when it come to wolves. I guess our way of life holds less value to the politicians than making the missguided enviros feel like they are saving the planet by planting an invasive non native animal into an ecosystem that they have utterly descimated. I will quit rambling now, as I can spew for hours on this subject, but for all those sick and weak proponates out their, I have a machine that turns lead into gold that I will sell you on the cheap.....and the native wolves we did have, guess what ate them??