Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DIY Blackhills Archery Mule deer? >

DIY Blackhills Archery Mule deer?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Blackhills Archery Mule deer?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:44 PM

Default DIY Blackhills Archery Mule deer?

I've got a burning desire to head out west with my brother and do a DIY bowhunt for mule deer. From the little bit of research I've done so far it looks like the Blackhills would be our destination. Have any of you tried this type of hunt in the Blackhills? Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
car
Typical Buck

Default RE: DIY Blackhills Archery Mule deer?

Archery tags are easy to come by. Hunted nest to the Black Hills.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 PM

Car,
Care to give me a basic overview of your trip?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted in the SD Black Hills for the last 7 years. Most of the deer there are whitetails. I think the SD game fish website says it's 75% whitetail, but I would put that number a little higher. There are alot of deer there, and much of it is very condusive to a bow hunt. If you buy all of the tags available to youI believeyou can shoot up to 5 deer ( 4 does and 1 buck ). We hunted the Black Hills in WY north of Sundance a few years ago and there were quite a few more mule deer there. It seemed more like 50-50.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Rangerlab

I have hunted in the SD Black Hills for the last 7 years. Most of the deer there are whitetails. I think the SD game fish website says it's 75% whitetail, but I would put that number a little higher. There are alot of deer there, and much of it is very condusive to a bow hunt. If you buy all of the tags available to youI believeyou can shoot up to 5 deer ( 4 does and 1 buck ). We hunted the Black Hills in WY north of Sundance a few years ago and there were quite a few more mule deer there. It seemed more like 50-50.
X2

I grew up around Newcastle Wyoming which is right on the edge of the Black Hills and i would say the majority of the deer in the hills were white tails.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
car
Typical Buck

Well the last 2 post pretty much tell it all. Not as many mule deer but a good amount of WT. Have fun.
car
Old 04-05-2008, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Rangerlab, how hard was it to draw a WY muley buck tag? Was that area in WY conducive to a DIY hike in backcountry type hunt?

Brian
Old 04-07-2008, 05:34 AM

Brian, We have ranches in South Dakota that we allow hunting on for $500 per hunter. You get exclusive access to one of two ranches and we provide lodging. Tags/lisences are $195 for a single deer and $245 for two deer. Antelope can also be hunted during parts of the archery season. Tags are unlimited. We took two 170 class bucks with the bow in 06' and did not hunt mule deer in 07'. I personallt seen 10 5x5 or better bucks while antelope hunting in 07'. Call 208-816-4245 for more information.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted the WY Hills a couple of years ago, before they started the deer prefference point system. At that time drawing a tag was 100% (WT or Mule Deer). Now, with the PP system, I don't know what the odds would be. If you are looking at this year your too late for WY- deadline was 3/15 for apps. Archery for SD has no deadline. You still have to apply, but the tags are unlimited. It's too late to apply for this year, but if you are willing to drive a little farther, SE Montana has some great spots for mule deer hunting.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 PM

You put in forthe special buck tag by think April 25th. It has a 75% draw. It cost more than the regular tag but you have a good chance of drawing for a rifle hunt off the bat. We have a slot or two available for groups of two for rifle if there is some interest.

Quick Reply: DIY Blackhills Archery Mule deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.