Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

alaska game management

Old 04-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Default RE: alaska game management

This is not going to be as educated as AK Jeff, but I live in Anchorage (yes its a city, sorry I love the wilderness, but the military won't let me live in the brooks range.) Even here there are multiple cases of wolves and bears overwhelming areas. Elmendorf AFB, if I am not mistaken is named after, a large pack of wolves that actually reside on base, I myself have seen some of the dens through glass. I think the point I was trying to make was that, there is a moose tag drawing on base (14C), and it is a great tag to draw it was at a 90% success rate of bagging a large animal. With the recent increase in numbers, there has been a decrease in success rate, now I am not saying the moose are being taken by the wolves but they are being driven out. These are just trends I see, no real evidence to back it up, just my opinion.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

greatest thread I have ever read so far...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

tango,

Is it safe to take your lack of response to my very simple questions and statements as a white flag of surrender regarding youroriginal statements? I guess we know now who was "kiddin the guys down south" and it wasn't me.

Here's another Alaskan predator that I bagged a few weeks ago. I guess I must "hate"them too just becauseI was willing to kill one.

AK Jeff

Old 04-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Nice, Trap?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Loadsmasher

Nice, Trap?
330 connibear set over a bucket baited with some recalled ground beef that was deemed unfit for human consumption. I guess the wolverines didn't hear about the recall. Caught him in the northern foothills of the Brooks Range, and it was damn cold that day. Enough of my red herring for this thread.

AK Jeff

Old 04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

No you'd be wrongJeff, sorry to dissapoint you.
I simply don't care to respond to any comments along the line of "I'm in Alaska and your not." Or, "if you don't like it, stay out of Alaska." I guess wolves must have been invented there?
What intelligent argument for pretator control did you bring to the thread with those remarks?
I have watched 9 wolves completely consume a young moose here over the course of the last 4 days. I was trying to upload a photo but the file is a bit too large. We are only a few miles outside the Alaska border so I don't know if this was a Canadian or American moose, but I tell you these wolves earned their dinner as much as any hunter I ever met. It looks like one of the pups has a serious injury and I don't know if he's going to survive. I suppose I would have been more of an expert on predators had I managed to kill a few instead of just keeping tabs on them.
Nice Willy.....but if you really want a challenge try a rabbit call, it can work well too. My wife though, is unimpressed, as she has live trapped and collared many of those little devils, and she's just agirl.

tz

I've never thought of the Yukon River, as a coastal river.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks tz. Every time you type you make me look better and better. Thanks for throwing yet another post out there that shows you have no argument whatsoever. Thanks for sharing the story of your wolf encounter like anyone reading this gives a crap. What we want to hear is your argument against predator control in Alaska. Whether you just watched a wolf eat a moose or whether or not your wife traps wolverines has nothing to do with your original assinine post. Back it up dude!!! Nobody ever said wolves don't earn their dinner. All we ever said was their population has reached peak numbers that should be brought down to healthier levels. Nobody said they had it easy. I'm starting to think you have a serious comprehension problem, or else instead of just admitting that you're original assessment was way off base you're just trying to back pedal your way out by repeatedly changing the subject. You made the assertion that predator control would turn Alaska into a high fence operation and that we might as well start sublemental feeding of the caribou or just bring in some reindeer. You brought this on yourself man. If you don't like Alaskans telling you to keep your stupid opinions in Canada, then don't make stupid statements, or else at least just try to back up your stupid statements. That's all I'm asking for is a logical explanation. Don't throw out a bunch of emotion, speculation, or otherwise ignorant BS. Just back up your statements with some reasoning.

You've never thought of the Yukon River as a coastal river??? I guess you just earned yourself an A+ in 1st grade geography. Thanks for that little bit of nothing. In case you were wondering the Congo is in Africa.

AK Jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

For hunters to hate predators seems to be the fasion, but I view them as sole mates.
By the way; it's SOUL mates. Unless of course you have some sort of bestial foot fetish that I don't even want to know about.

AK Jeff
Old 04-06-2008, 04:21 PM

tangozulu,

Probably best to try and save a little face and stop while you're ahead. I won't argue with you on this subject since you don't really (and honestly) know d!ck on what Alaska does up here. Keep speculating.