HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Hooray! The wolves are delisted. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/239650-hooray-wolves-delisted.html)

wyotimberghost 03-28-2008 01:13 PM

Hooray! The wolves are delisted.

As of midnight last night, it's legal to shoot wolves outside of the trophy management area in Wyoming. Granted, there are only an estimated 30-35 wolves outside of the trophy zone, but the tree huggers have to wait 30 days until they can file lawsuits to attempt to put a temporary stop to the delisting. So until then those wolves are fair game. Sometime in the near future, Wyoming will also have wolf hunting seasons inside the trophy management area assuming the delisting holds up.:D

tangozulu 03-28-2008 01:25 PM

RE: Hooray! The wolves are delisted.

Thats great,
Now you can have a chance to hunt one of the greatest trophies there is.

WYObowfisher 03-28-2008 04:45 PM

Its about time, what does the trophy zone entail?

Jeff Ovington 03-29-2008 02:40 AM

Well if thats the case.
I don't expect a response from you for the next 30 days cause, You'll be out shootingthem all.:D
Late late bedtimes and early early mornings is is gonna be the name of this game to bring those numbers down.
Thats a one a day average for ya..
If you are on the computer, I'll be disappointed...[&o]:D
Wackem and Stackem..
Hope you'll post some pics...

redka 03-29-2008 01:03 PM

De-listed does not necessarily mean an open season does it? Won't each state DNR be the one responsible for deciding if/when to open a season?

hillbillyhunter1 03-29-2008 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: redka

De-listed does not necessarily mean an open season does it? Won't each state DNR be the one responsible for deciding if/when to open a season?
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I think WY already had it's wolf management plan ready to go as soon as the de-listing occurred. So it seems some areas are ready fora little hunting adventure right now.

What is the regs on the "trophy areas" timberghost? Is that a draw, or has a season and limit or what??

Thanks

Can anyone say what the situation on the ground is right now in ID and MT??

wyotimberghost 03-29-2008 07:28 PM

WYObowfisher, here is the trophy zone:

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

ORIGINAL: redka

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I think WY already had it's wolf management plan ready to go as soon as the de-listing occurred. So it seems some areas are ready fora little hunting adventure right now.

What is the regs on the "trophy areas" timberghost? Is that a draw, or has a season and limit or what??

Thanks

Can anyone say what the situation on the ground is right now in ID and MT??
You're right. The plan was already in place so hunting them was legal the minute they were delisted. That's one of the things that made the delisting take so long- the Feds and WY couldn't agree on a management plan and the feds wouldn't delist them until they had approved our plan.

Regs on the trophy area have yet to be determined.

I'm thinking about calling some people I know above Lander to see if they've got any wolves around. If they do, I might have to head up that away next weekend since I couldn't make it this weekend.

car 03-29-2008 08:34 PM

Good for Wyoming ;)

trouthunter 03-30-2008 06:21 PM

We'll be looking forward to hunting them in Idaho as well :D

caselesss5 03-30-2008 08:36 PM

as far as i know for what the plan is here in idaho is right now there is now legal season yet. it is a misdemeanor if you do shoot one illegally with a $25-$1000 fine if caught. but it sounds like as soon as october there could be an open season but i dont think exact numbers of tags, areas or even for sure a price of a tag has been set but it is coming. so i guess until then i will continue with my current "practice". SSS

buckclub 03-31-2008 06:38 PM

thats awesome.. How do you guys plan on doing most of the killing of the great predator? tracking?baits? calling? it sounds like trapping would be easiest but not yet allowed yet from what i hear. It would be fun to howl one in! how do the pro's do it?

caselesss5 03-31-2008 06:51 PM

well i dont know about everybody else but most of the wolves ive seen have been hanging around hay fields and then i can track them from there. i dont know how you would go about baiting them, from what i know they usually go for the live meals they have to kill themselves. calling might work too but i probably wont do much of that.

Wolf killer 03-31-2008 07:32 PM

I think the rules remain the same, SSS.

trouthunter 04-03-2008 04:29 PM

I'm hoping to hunt them with long range shots...as far as tactics, I am not sure what works best, as we haven't been able to hunt these critters. More than likely just ask our Alaska & Canadian brothers how they do it...