HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   300 win mag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/237234-300-win-mag.html)

robbcayman 03-13-2008 02:57 PM

300 win mag

Okay, I'm about to buy a 300 win mag, but I want to make sure I am buying the right gun. I mainly want this gun to be used for bigger hunts in the future i.e. Moose, Elk, Black bear etc..

I already have a 30-30 for deer, and a 270 in the arsenal as well.

What are the thoughts on this caliber?

I'm going to be purchasing a savage arms 300 win mag with the accutrigger. Thanks.

Folically Challenged 03-13-2008 03:27 PM

RE: 300 win mag

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Okay, I'm about to buy a 300 win mag, but I want to make sure I am buying the right gun. I mainly want this gun to be used for bigger hunts in the future i.e. Moose, Elk, Black bear etc..

I already have a 30-30 for deer, and a 270 in the arsenal as well.

What are the thoughts on this caliber?

I'm going to be purchasing a savage arms 300 win mag with the accutrigger. Thanks.
When I was choosing a rifle for those critters, I settled on the .30-'06. I didn't personally see the performance advantage of going to the .300 WM as outweighing its increased recoil, longer barrel (in the rifles I was looking at) and ammo cost. So far, I don't feel as if I've been handicapped.

Then again, my outfitter in BC feels that the .300 WM is the BEST all-around rifle for this continent, even better than the .338 WM. There's something to be said for nearly 30 years of guiding in elk/black bear/moose/goat/bighorn/grizzly country.

I'd suggest shooting one several times at the range, to see how it agrees with you. Also, handle the exact model you're looking at, and do so extensively. If it feels natural to you, then go for it!

FC

game4lunch 03-13-2008 04:51 PM

I've been using the .300 WM for all those and Antelope/deer sized animals for years now. Yeah, recoil kind of sucks. But I didn't buy it to go plinkin'! I bought it because of it's superior trajectory at long ranges, bullet variety, knocjdown power at greater distances and cause I don't like to chase 'em after I hit them.
No more damage to meat than other calibers. I did move to premium ammo with bullets that open quickly (balistic tip Winchester) and that made a huge improvement. I've done more damage on a deer with my 30-30 than ever did with the .300.
I did put a better recoil pad on it, and I know guys that go with a muzzle greak also to reduce kick. But I don't worry about it, you can't when there some meat in the cross hairs!

You will love it!

wyotimberghost 03-13-2008 04:52 PM

I'd say the 300 Win Mag will be perfect for your needs. You can shoot 130gr bullets out of your 270 for deer and speed goats then shoot 180 grain bullets out of your 300 for elk and other thick-skinned animals. In all reality, a 270 shooting 150 grain bullets is more than enough for moose and elk, but only having one gun is not that much fun.;)

Howler 03-13-2008 05:00 PM

I put a Simms recoil pad on my .300 Winny and oh what a difference it made. It's simply unblievable that a recoil pad can do so much for taming the felt kick, but it does.
Before going on a trip to AK moose hunting 3 or 4 years ago, I shot my .300 win mag 120 shots at ranges out to 300 yards, and by the time the trip rolled around, I was very comfortable shooting it.
I plan on getting back upto AK for a another hunt in the next year or two, and I'll be using my .300 again.

MinnFinn 03-13-2008 06:15 PM

I think for the bigger gameyou're looking to use this for (e.g. Elk, Moose, etc.) a good .300 WM is a fine choice. I have one I've hunted Elk with for several years. With a 180 gr Accubond, partition, Barnes or other bullet designed for penitrating heavier hides / bone and retainin its mass, you put this behind or on the shoulder of one of these animals and it's going to get the job done.
If sighted in at 200 yds center, you've got well out to 300 yds with plenty of power in the bullet to take out shoulder and penetrate through lungs.
The initial zeroing of the .300 WM is a bit of a challenge. But if you do the bore sighting first you should be able to minimize that. Then from year to year, I mostly have to just check that the scope is still on and now more than a dozen shots at that. I honestly never feel the recoil of my .300 WM Tikka T3 when I'm focusing on and taking the shot on an Elk.
Good luck!

robbcayman 03-13-2008 06:23 PM

First off, thanks for all the great replies. I have looked at the 30-06, but I feel the 270 is fairly close to it, right? I just want something that has knock down power for larger animals. I am going to put that simms recoil pad on it and hope that helps.

This gun comes with a scope, but it looks really cheap. I know I'm going to need better rings and a better scope. I have been thinking of getting a leupold, just unsure of which model. Any thoughts on a scope model?? Thanks again fellas.

WYObowfisher 03-13-2008 07:55 PM

I have a Burris 3x9 on mine couldnt tell you what model it is though.

McBruce 03-13-2008 08:12 PM

RC:
I've been shooting a Browning 300 win mag for years. Its taken, deer, elk, bison, bear.
I like the Browning because of the boss system. ( modified muzzle break )
it allows you to tune your barrel to the ammo you are shooting.
bullets touching at 100 yards is not uncommon ( with factory ammo)

180 gr winchester ammo, zero'd at 200 yards, will be about 2 inches high at 100 and about 6 inches low at 300.

Make sure you use ammo that opens up quickly. I used the Winchester surpreme bonded and had issues. When on my bison hunt, I put 2 shots through the boiler room ( at 100 yards ) and they never opened up. in and out.
when I took a neck shot, and hit bone, the bullets preformance was amazing. But it had to hit bone.

as far as a scope. I had a leopold M2-6X on it and removed that recently and saved up for a Leapold XIII 4.5 x 14.
it gives you good field of view when in timber, but allows you to reach out to 300-400 yards and place your shot where you want, save your loose change. the scope is about 550-600. but worth every dime.

you'll love the 300 win mag..and the savage is a good gun. get the recoil pad and consider a muzzle break if it kicks to much.

bigbulls 03-13-2008 08:23 PM

Even though the 300WM is a great cartridge I am going to go against the grain here.

Since you already have a .270 and 30-30,I suspect thatthese two will be relegated to deer sized animalsonce you purchase a"bigger gun".
Personally I would just skip right over the 300 and get a .338 Win mag.

skeeter 7MM 03-13-2008 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Even though the 300WM is a great cartridge I am going to go against the grain here.

Since you already have a .270 and 30-30,I suspect thatthese two will be relegated to deer sized animalsonce you purchase a"bigger gun".
Personally I would just skip right over the 300 and get a .338 Win mag.
+2 As an all around gun the 300wm is an excellent cartidge. However you stated you have and will use the others for deer sized (-)and this "new addition" will be dedicated for NA big game the likes of elk (+). Insert the 338wm and your GTG on any game animal you wish to hunt in NA without comprimise. The recoil difference between the 300wm and 338wm isn't what most would think, so if your comfortable with a 300wm moving to 338wm isn't a real stretch. Basically if you can handle a 300wm the 338wm should be tolerable, at least from my experience/perspective. Both will be a considerable jump from what you have now, so you'll notice either one and you'll never know the difference jumping to the 338wm instead;).

You'll also have nice spacing in your arsenal .277cal, 308 cal and .338cal. The 300wm creates redundancy in the .308 cal slot. I know stretching it comparing a 30/30 with the 300wm but under the usage model it does apply.

BTW, I'dtop it witha 3x9x40 zeiss conquestwith 4" constant ER, excellent optics, etc. Add some good mounts (warne. leupold, etc)andyour all set.

Good luck

starhunter21 03-13-2008 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

First off, thanks for all the great replies. I have looked at the 30-06, but I feel the 270 is fairly close to it, right? I just want something that has knock down power for larger animals. I am going to put that simms recoil pad on it and hope that helps.

This gun comes with a scope, but it looks really cheap. I know I'm going to need better rings and a better scope. I have been thinking of getting a leupold, just unsure of which model. Any thoughts on a scope model?? Thanks again fellas.
My only advise is to make sure that the gun fits you well in the store before you buy it. If it doesnt fit, no recoil pad or better scope is gonna make it better.

beech18 03-14-2008 06:35 AM

I agree in this situation. I wouldnt go for just the 300 Win Mag or 300 wsm. 338 or I would even consider a 300 Ultra Mag. Packsmore punch that the 300Win Mag, shoots flatter, aint a elk or moose it cant take down. 3-9 scope would be my first pick. Get good glass, had a cheap scope on a 338 a few years ago and shot the crosshairs loose with only a few rounds.

cjwink 03-14-2008 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I bought it because of it's superior trajectory at long ranges, bullet variety, knocjdown power at greater distances and cause I don't like to chase 'em after I hit them.
No more damage to meat than other calibers.
Ok, how is that possible.. I mean the only way to make quicker kills is to do more damage, more damage means there will be more meat damage.

bigbulls 03-14-2008 09:45 AM

Ok, how is that possible.. I mean the only way to make quicker kills is to do more damage, more damage means there will be more meat damage.
Becauseit takes a lot more resistance to get a bigger and heavier bullet to expand.Therefore they punch a cleaner hole in the meat and begin expanding deeper in the bodyrather than expanding in the meat and getting it all blood shot.

cjwink 03-14-2008 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Becauseit takes a lot more resistance to get a bigger and heavier bullet to expand.Therefore they punch a cleaner hole in the meat and begin expanding deeper in the bodyrather than expanding in the meat and getting it all blood shot.
That is true, but that does not have anything to do with a 300 WIN MAG. That has to do with the weight and bullet type. I can get the same results out of a .308 without having to put on a recoil pad, using a BOSS or any other recoil reducing efforts.

bigbulls 03-14-2008 11:38 AM

It does have to do with a 300 mag if you are comparing it with the same bullet typeout of something likea 25-06.

Sureyou can do the same thing with other lighter cartridges if you change to heavier constructed bullets like a Barnesbut if you are comparing a 300 mag with a 180 grain ballistic tip to, say,a 25-06 with a 100 grain ballistic tip the 300 should blood shot meat less.

There are a bunch of other factors to consider but all else being equal, as a general rulea heavier and larger diameter bullet will do less meat damage than a lighter wieght and smaller diameter bullet.

cjwink 03-14-2008 11:47 AM

So your saying that a 300 WIN mag will produce faster kills because it does less damage to meat??? That doesn't make sense.. A bullet does not know the difference between meat and internal organs.. True some bullets expand faster and different than others. But my point is it does not have anything to do with the caliber it has to do with weight and construction of the bullet. A .300 WIN Mag with a 180 Grain PSP won't kill any faster than .308 with a 180 Grain PSP. There is only a couple hundredFPSdifference in velocity of these 2 rounds.

Howler 03-14-2008 12:16 PM

[blockquote]quote:

I bought it because of it's superior trajectory at long ranges, bullet variety, knocjdown power at greater distances and cause I don't like to chase 'em after I hit them.
[/blockquote]

Ok, how is that possible.. I mean the only way to make quicker kills is to do more damage, more damage means there will be more meat damage. [align=right]
[/align][align=right]I must be missing it, but where in his post does it say anything about "quicker kills' He does say that there's no more damage than other calibers, and that we all can agree on.I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill![/align]

cjwink 03-14-2008 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

Ok, how is that possible.. I mean the only way to make quicker kills is to do more damage, more damage means there will be more meat damage. [align=right]
[/align][align=right]I must be missing it, but where in his post does it say anything about "quicker kills' He does say that there's no more damage than other calibers, and that we all can agree on.I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill![/align]
The part where he says "I don't like to chase em after I hit them" is what I am interpreting as "quicker kills" Your right it proabably is a mole hill.. But I just don't see the 300 WIN MAG as some magical round that killed any faster than any other round.

skeeter 7MM 03-14-2008 01:14 PM

300+fps more velocity with the 300wm vs 308 which equals flatter trajectory and more retained energy with the same 180gr bullet. At close ranges the difference is moot but stretch that out to 300 +and this is where the bigger case shows its worth for larger then deer game. The 308win isn't as effecient with the heavierfor cal bullets makes the 300wm a better choice when considering it for such applications.IME the 308win as at its best in the 150-165 range all things considered. Not saying it won't work with 180's etc just that their are better cartridges in the caliber which where designed for this application. If your were to compare the 3006 to 300wm I'd agree the difference are more numeric with the 180gr then game performance...however step that up to the 200's and I'd lean back to 300wm having the edge. In this case the poster said this is his NA "Big Game" specific rifle, so therfor when looking at the game, bullets and cartridges in the .308 cal I agree the 300's are the best choice for 180-220grs bullets 1'd be loading. However my advice was skip the .308's entirelyand move to the proven and highly effective NA Big game cartridge the .338wm. Big bullet that produces more energy and retains it as well, works great cloase and far. Also if staring down the nostril of a grizzly I'dpersonally feel better having a .338 250gr NP then a .308 180NP. I am not talking about hunting grizzly but rather the fact the other game co-exist with the likes of the big bears would mean I'd consider what is suited for such critters in the evident I ran into one on my yukon moose kill;). JMO

Had he included africa I'dhave said375H&H.

Numbers aren't all MV related IMO but rather based on bullet to case matched for effeciency for the application (game).

cjwink 03-14-2008 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

300+fps more velocity with the 300wm vs 308 which equals flatter trajectory and more retained energy with the same 180gr bullet. At close ranges the difference is moot but stretch that out to 300 +and this is where the bigger case shows its worth for larger then deer game. The 308win isn't as effecient with the heavierfor cal bullets makes the 300wm a better choice when considering it for such applications.IME the 308win as at its best in the 150-165 range all things considered. Not saying it won't work with 180's etc just that their are better cartridges in the caliber which where designed for this application. If your were to compare the 3006 to 300wm I'd agree the difference are more numeric with the 180gr then game performance...however step that up to the 200's and I'd lean back to 300wm having the edge. In this case the poster said this is his NA "Big Game" specific rifle, so therfor when looking at the game, bullets and cartridges in the .308 cal I agree the 300's are the best choice for 180-220grs bullets 1'd be loading. However my advice was skip the .308's entirelyand move to the proven and highly effective NA Big game cartridge the .338wm. Big bullet that produces more energy and retains it as well, works great cloase and far. Also if staring down the nostril of a grizzly I'dpersonally feel better having a .338 250gr NP then a .308 180NP. I am not talking about hunting grizzly but rather the fact the other game co-exist with the likes of the big bears would mean I'd consider what is suited for such critters in the evident I ran into one on my yukon moose kill;). JMO

Had he included afirca I'd say skip the .338wm and get a 375H&H.

The numbers aren't all MV related but rather based on bullet to case match for the best effeciency for the application (game).

Correct.. But the quote I was referring to specifically said deer.. I agree on Big Game out passed 300yards there is a bennefit..

Howler 03-14-2008 03:53 PM

I don't like to chase 'em after I hit them.
Hmmm, the way I read this is, someone doesn't like to chase wounded animals! Nothing more, nothing less. It says NOTHING about killing "quicker"!!
Of course this is the internet and it would be a rather boring place if there weren't people that like to "read into" things that aren't said.;)

EKM 03-15-2008 07:46 PM

"....Okay, I'm about to buy a 300 win mag, but I want to make sure I am buying the right gun. I mainly want this gun to be used for bigger hunts in the future i.e. Moose, Elk, Black bear etc..

I already have a 30-30 for deer, and a 270 in the arsenal as well...."
God bless ya. 300WinMag is a great one. A 338WinMag or 338RUM would even be better but at least you are stepping up your level of play.

Thanks for recognizing the wisdom of upping your tools to more match your intended tasks.

thndrchiken 03-16-2008 10:04 AM

Is a 300 WM going to do anything a 30-06 can't do, no. It will however do it a little faster. If all he plans to hunt is elk, moose, and black bear than the 270 is plenty as long as you use the right bullet. The 30-06 a little better, the 300 a little more. Being a handloader when faced with this decision with a 307 and a 30-06 I decided to go to the 35 Whelen. But then I have a thing for working off of the 30-06case. I agree with BB and Skeeter, add a little more spacing in your arsenal. After all dead is dead and you will not be undergunned with a 300 but you can also never be overgunned either. Here is some other food for thought, with all of the newer cartridges available today there are some other considerations that should be thought of. Are you a handloader? or will you be buying factory cartridges? Moving up to the Magnums also cost more money when purchasing ammo.

robbcayman 03-16-2008 11:28 AM

My father-in-law is a hand loader, but I don't think I will shoot it enough to justfiy the cost.

I appreciate all the thoughts about the 338 win mag. However, I decided to go with the 300 savage accutrigger. I am already looking at getting a leupold scope for it. I went to guns and ammo and looked at all the ballastics charts and I figured out of all of the calibers that the 300 was right for me. It has the ability to take out bear, moose, elk, mule deer and that is really what I wanted it for.

Thanks again guys!!! This site really isa great wealth of information.

Wolf killer 03-16-2008 12:36 PM

robbcayman,
You will be very happy with your 300-win mag. I hunted with one for over 20-years, Ikilledpronghorn, whitetails, mule deer, elk & black beer with mine.

Good luck hunting,

WK

salukipv1 03-16-2008 02:41 PM

I have/bought a .300 win mag before the .300 WSM came out, now I'm considering trading it to a .300 WSM in a more lightweight setup, though I suspect I'll just hangon to it since I want other rifles first. I'd just consider the .300 WSM.

Since you mentioned elk, moose, black bear, I'm a big fan of any of the .338's, and since you already ahve a .270 and 30.30. The .300 win mag is a solid round, that will be here forever, the .300 WSM is also a success and will be here, my thoughts are a lighter setup in .300 wsm would be nice along with that bigger/heavier .338 when I want it/need it, also when you have a .338 now you can truly hunt anything in NA and do it well, brown bear, etc...and feelsafe doing so.

I don't know much about savage arms, I'm sure i've looked at their website, buy the nicest gun you can I say, after all I plan to keep them around for more than 1 lifetime. Everyone has their own views etc....personally one area I justify going a bit overboard is on the thoughts of a nice firearm. So whatever category you're looking in, you may take a look at 1 step up and consider spending a few bucks more now, after all in 30yrs that will only cost you more.

.338 Win. Mag, any .338 would be awesome, im a fan, .338 RUM, .340 wby. may consider a .338, combined with your 270 now you'll never need another rifle for NA anyway.

salukipv1 03-16-2008 02:52 PM

a .300 win mag vs. a .338 WM I wouldn't worry about faster kills etc....but on teh big stuff, say grizzly I wouldn't use a .300, i would use a .338, or a .375, but 2 bullets going the same velocity, the bigger one should lose velocity slower than the ie 250gr bullets slow down slower vs 180gr, though you're also considering BC etc....a .338 is a great combo of big and fast, whereas the .300 tends to be more fast IMO, and .375 is more heavy than fast, a .338 I've heard called as an alaskan's all around, like in a alaska a man has a .338, in texas he may have a .270, in colorado a .30-06, in africa a .375, my vote is for a .338, though a .300 I dont see as overlap eventhough you have a .30 30 while it is a .308 caliber its less powerful than a .270, either way you go its a nice round, but I've just continue to love the .338, and also not eveyone has a .338, but seems like everyone has a .300 WM.

SILVERTIP-CO 03-16-2008 02:59 PM

Save your $$$, use the 270.

Scott Gags 03-18-2008 04:57 PM

If I were purchasing a dedicated big game rifle I would also go 30 cal or larger in order get some separation from your 270. The WSM may offer some advantages with regard to rifle weight if that is a consideration.

I have fired the 300 RUM and its recoil is strong but not as bad I expected. In fact there are several reduced power offerings from 30-06 to 300 WM to 300 RUM. Thismay allow you find your comfort level. Not to metion next time you go shooting you can shoot 150 grain 06 loads, and slip in a 200 grain full power RUM load when you let you buddy shoot one. :)

907Alaska 03-18-2008 11:10 PM

When I was hunting with a gun years ago, I only had 2, 223 for coyotes, and 300WM, for me back then real good load bear hunting. Today if I was to go bear hunting with a gun it would be 300WM.