Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 win mag

Old 03-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300 win mag

Okay, I'm about to buy a 300 win mag, but I want to make sure I am buying the right gun. I mainly want this gun to be used for bigger hunts in the future i.e. Moose, Elk, Black bear etc..

I already have a 30-30 for deer, and a 270 in the arsenal as well.

What are the thoughts on this caliber?

I'm going to be purchasing a savage arms 300 win mag with the accutrigger. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 300 win mag

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Okay, I'm about to buy a 300 win mag, but I want to make sure I am buying the right gun. I mainly want this gun to be used for bigger hunts in the future i.e. Moose, Elk, Black bear etc..

I already have a 30-30 for deer, and a 270 in the arsenal as well.

What are the thoughts on this caliber?

I'm going to be purchasing a savage arms 300 win mag with the accutrigger. Thanks.
When I was choosing a rifle for those critters, I settled on the .30-'06. I didn't personally see the performance advantage of going to the .300 WM as outweighing its increased recoil, longer barrel (in the rifles I was looking at) and ammo cost. So far, I don't feel as if I've been handicapped.

Then again, my outfitter in BC feels that the .300 WM is the BEST all-around rifle for this continent, even better than the .338 WM. There's something to be said for nearly 30 years of guiding in elk/black bear/moose/goat/bighorn/grizzly country.

I'd suggest shooting one several times at the range, to see how it agrees with you. Also, handle the exact model you're looking at, and do so extensively. If it feels natural to you, then go for it!

FC
Old 03-13-2008, 04:51 PM

I've been using the .300 WM for all those and Antelope/deer sized animals for years now. Yeah, recoil kind of sucks. But I didn't buy it to go plinkin'! I bought it because of it's superior trajectory at long ranges, bullet variety, knocjdown power at greater distances and cause I don't like to chase 'em after I hit them.
No more damage to meat than other calibers. I did move to premium ammo with bullets that open quickly (balistic tip Winchester) and that made a huge improvement. I've done more damage on a deer with my 30-30 than ever did with the .300.
I did put a better recoil pad on it, and I know guys that go with a muzzle greak also to reduce kick. But I don't worry about it, you can't when there some meat in the cross hairs!

You will love it!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM

I'd say the 300 Win Mag will be perfect for your needs. You can shoot 130gr bullets out of your 270 for deer and speed goats then shoot 180 grain bullets out of your 300 for elk and other thick-skinned animals. In all reality, a 270 shooting 150 grain bullets is more than enough for moose and elk, but only having one gun is not that much fun.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a Simms recoil pad on my .300 Winny and oh what a difference it made. It's simply unblievable that a recoil pad can do so much for taming the felt kick, but it does.
Before going on a trip to AK moose hunting 3 or 4 years ago, I shot my .300 win mag 120 shots at ranges out to 300 yards, and by the time the trip rolled around, I was very comfortable shooting it.
I plan on getting back upto AK for a another hunt in the next year or two, and I'll be using my .300 again.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think for the bigger gameyou're looking to use this for (e.g. Elk, Moose, etc.) a good .300 WM is a fine choice. I have one I've hunted Elk with for several years. With a 180 gr Accubond, partition, Barnes or other bullet designed for penitrating heavier hides / bone and retainin its mass, you put this behind or on the shoulder of one of these animals and it's going to get the job done.
If sighted in at 200 yds center, you've got well out to 300 yds with plenty of power in the bullet to take out shoulder and penetrate through lungs.
The initial zeroing of the .300 WM is a bit of a challenge. But if you do the bore sighting first you should be able to minimize that. Then from year to year, I mostly have to just check that the scope is still on and now more than a dozen shots at that. I honestly never feel the recoil of my .300 WM Tikka T3 when I'm focusing on and taking the shot on an Elk.
Good luck!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, thanks for all the great replies. I have looked at the 30-06, but I feel the 270 is fairly close to it, right? I just want something that has knock down power for larger animals. I am going to put that simms recoil pad on it and hope that helps.

This gun comes with a scope, but it looks really cheap. I know I'm going to need better rings and a better scope. I have been thinking of getting a leupold, just unsure of which model. Any thoughts on a scope model?? Thanks again fellas.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:55 PM

I have a Burris 3x9 on mine couldnt tell you what model it is though.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:12 PM

RC:
I've been shooting a Browning 300 win mag for years. Its taken, deer, elk, bison, bear.
I like the Browning because of the boss system. ( modified muzzle break )
it allows you to tune your barrel to the ammo you are shooting.
bullets touching at 100 yards is not uncommon ( with factory ammo)

180 gr winchester ammo, zero'd at 200 yards, will be about 2 inches high at 100 and about 6 inches low at 300.

Make sure you use ammo that opens up quickly. I used the Winchester surpreme bonded and had issues. When on my bison hunt, I put 2 shots through the boiler room ( at 100 yards ) and they never opened up. in and out.
when I took a neck shot, and hit bone, the bullets preformance was amazing. But it had to hit bone.

as far as a scope. I had a leopold M2-6X on it and removed that recently and saved up for a Leapold XIII 4.5 x 14.
it gives you good field of view when in timber, but allows you to reach out to 300-400 yards and place your shot where you want, save your loose change. the scope is about 550-600. but worth every dime.

you'll love the 300 win mag..and the savage is a good gun. get the recoil pad and consider a muzzle break if it kicks to much.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Even though the 300WM is a great cartridge I am going to go against the grain here.

Since you already have a .270 and 30-30,I suspect thatthese two will be relegated to deer sized animalsonce you purchase a"bigger gun".
Personally I would just skip right over the 300 and get a .338 Win mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.