Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Quality Binoculars

Old 03-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Quality Binoculars

When I bought my glasses I drove the guys at the stores crazy looking at the different models over and over during the course of 4 months.It still hurts to think of the price but The Swarovski ELs were worth it. I was also quite impressed by the Leica Ultravid but the warranty (10yrs) eliminated them.

I consider the Meoptas I looked at the best under $1K I don't remember the exact models but one of them was under the Cabelas brand.

In short we are still eating canned pintos, well canned pintos and venison but I just came in fron shed hunting and I am still very happy with the performance of my choice. Do your homework and think of the glasses as a lifetime tool unlike the disposable junk we usually stuff our packs with every season.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

What every you do keep in mind inflation.
I have been wanting to buy a pair of zeis conquests which cost 480. at cabellaas for the past 2 years. They just jumped up 70 bucks to 550. As long as the dollar keeps dropping better buy now.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

I'm in the Nikon mode. Everything I buy is Nikon. I feel prices are fair, optics are great, and you can get some good deals on them offa eBay.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:30 PM

I bought a pair of swarovskies from myfriend 10 years ago , i abused them until the left eye wouldntwork, sent them back to factory they gave me brand new ones , i dont think you will find that in cheeper ones. so if you spend the money your set for life.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago I was looking at the Steiner binos, a good friend had a bad experience with there quality. He said it took months to get them back after he sent them in for repair. He also said the quality just was not there to justify the price. Hewas with me at the local shop & flat out would not let me buy a pair. He told me he wouldknock me to the ground & take them away from me, if I even got close to the cash register with them.
Ibought a pair of Pentex that year.Three years later I upgraded to Swarovski & never looked back.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quality begins with the Pentax dcf sp 10x43, They're amazing for $500 ish, though now I want some swaro's, I looked seriously at the nikon.......forget their name, the popular ones for $300 and for that money i figured they would have been much nicer, if considering those I'd save my money and just get something for $100 or so. otherwise spend the extra money and get what you want/pay for.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Ditto what everybody has said about looking through binos in person before you buy. And notice that quite a few people posting here decided to upgrade later. I bought a pair of Swarovskis (7X30) about 20 years ago on a closeout sale for $400. That was a lot of money for me back then but when spread over 20 years it comes out to about $20 a year and the binos are as good as ever. Quality costs money up front but it lasts and then pays for itself, again and again.