Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

I made up my mind this morning. I'm going on a dall sheep hunt. I'm not getting any younger, so I'm going to do it before I'm too old & fat to do it. Now for the hard part, I have to save up enough money. Oh well, I'll refinance the house if I have to. I've been hung up on that before and I will not be detoured this time.

Here's where I need help. Where should I go? Alaska, Yukon, Northwest territories? Alaska is the cheapest, but I want a chance at a nice one. I want to save as much money as I can, but I don't want a fly by night guide. I need a reputable outfitter with a top notch area that is cheap! They're everywhere I'm sure

What about boots and gear? I've read and heard about Koflach boots. Will I need this type of mountaineering boot?

Now for the most dangerous portion of this expedition. Can someone please tell my wife for me? I'll make sure that I'm out of the state whenever she's told that I've decided to spend $15,000 ona hunt.[:@] I'm sure she'll be happy with her man when she hears that:
Old 03-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

Check out the video "Black Shale, White Sheep" at http://www.timberlinevideos.com/. Rick French ([email protected]) is the guide. I have never hunted with him, but he will return your emails, very nice, and I did meet him at the conservation expo in Salt Lake. He took a ton of time with me to talk about hunting and hunting with him. Its not fancy, you eat top-ramen and roll your sleeping bag out when it gets dark (no fancy base or spike camps). Very genuine. He will answer your questions about hunting in Alaska. However, I think he is booked until 2012-2013. I am on his list.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Also, he sent me a couple of documents on equipment. These are his lists and vary from other outfitters I can send them to you if you want. I have tried on both the koflach and the scarpa omega. The later felt better on my foot in the store, but that could all change once you get them in the field.

Why not take your wife with you? It will do one of two things .....
Old 03-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Spike

This is my dream hunt and I will be going in the next ten year whether my wife lets me or not. LOL I need to go before my body says no way.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Shato. I wish you the best.I haven't seen pictures of too manythat aren't nice rams, all of them produce nice to great rams. That said I'd say the Yukon is the #1 place for Dall's. The Yukon's Big Game Management is very good across the board - not just sheep. Less Population, less outfitters and less hunters = more when it comes to game. Dalls are my #1 dream hunt as well, if I were booking todaydestination =Yukon. I'd also pick the Yukon for Moose and Mountain Caribou as well...I think???

As far as gear I'd get that info from the outfitter/guides of interest as they'd be able to give you specifics to the areas you'll be hunting.I have done some looking, most includegear info on their website.Footwear suggestions range from mountaineer to meindl/schnee sheep hunter's type boots.

As far as telling the wife...sorryI have my own to deal with, she has an idea of what such dreams costs but that won't make it easier, I found out!!! She flipped and then gave me thefrozen shoulder when I mere mentioned may have an opportunity to fill in fora Quebec bou hunt in sept. I tried to tell her how good of deal it would be but nothing....notta[&:] Good Luck
Old 03-07-2008, 06:36 AM

I'll back you up ,when you tell her.Give me a day or 2 to get suited up .I may need the favor returned someday.Have gun will travel.

[/align]
Old 03-07-2008, 06:44 AM

I just read this thread to my wife and she said I could do that hunt if I had the cash but to refinance the house I have to be terminally ill.

[/align]
Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 AM

I told my wife last night what I had decided. At first she just laughed and said "yeah right!" Then she looked at me, and could tell I wasn't pulling her leg. She squinted at me and said: "you're serious?" I said: "Yep, I'm going before I get too old and fat." she said: "You're already too fat, better get on the treadmill." With that she turned around and start pealing potatoes.

I don't know, but I think she just okayed the trip. But, then again it could be like when she tells me "nothing is wrong". We all know that women say the opposite of what they really mean.

Anyway, I'm running with it. As far as I'm concerned she said "yes". Now, I need money; Anybody want to donate?

I've been emailing outfitters this morning. I'm holding off on calling atcheson's, whenever I do that I'll be booked for sure. Those guys know the best places to go. I need to think for awhile. The cheapest I've found is about $10,000 in alaska. In the yukon they seem to run about 13,000+. I've always wanted to go to the yukon, but the same can be said about Alaska. I'm really leaning toward Alaska. Maybe, I won't get a 40 incher but any full curl ram would be a trophy to me, so I should probably save as much $ as possible.

Today, I'm not as excited as yesterday. Yesterday, I was kind of reveling in my manhood. I was going, by gosh! Today the Money issue is sinking in. I've got a pit in my stomach.... This is a life long dream, and I'm about to take the plunge. This is actually stressful.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Spike

ShatoDavis,

One Yukon sheep outfitter I can recommend without hesitation is Tim Mervyn, http://www.yukonsheep.com/Tim has a great area and top quality rams. I have hunted with him for years for a variety of game, including two Dall sheep. He is highly ethical, but not cheap! He is usually booked several years in advance for sheep.

Unfortunately, the weakness of the US dollar compared to the loonie, has pushed up the cost of all Canadian hunts over the past several years. You can get cheaper hunts in Alaska, butas a rulethe quality of the averageram, with a few exceptions, isn't as good.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Kodi,

Thanks for the info. I've emailed him. What else can you tell me? Ballpark me how much he charges. How far in advance is he usually booked? Would I be able to book in 2009 or 10 with him?

Why did you go twice? Were you unsuccessfull the first time, or did you just enjoy it so much you had to go back? I hate to pry, but As much info as you can spare would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.