Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

I think it all depends on your expectations. I mean do you want a 40" or a good representative animal? As far as I'm concerned any leagal (full curl in AK) is one heck of a trophy. I think you might have already answered this.
As was said already the trophy quality is better in Canada than Alaska. Ten years ago that wasn't true, but Alaska's sheep hunting has gone downhill in the last few years, both in numbers and horn length.
I started guiding sheep hunts here in AK in 1990 and ave to say the glory days for white sheep here are gone. I do know a handful of small guide operations up here who are still doing well though. If you want some names let me know.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

"Sheep hunting is an addiction, it's only cure is advancing age" I've drawn 2 sheep tags here in Colorado. I took a 7/8 curl back in 98. Hoping luck strikes the 3rd time on this year's draw. Sheep hunting, nothing else compares, it's the Cadillac of all hunting.

Welcome to the fraternity. CB
Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Spike

ShatoDavis,

I'm not sure what Tim's current pricing is. Its been a few years since I've hunted with him. However, based on the Yukon Dall sheep hunts I saw priced at this year's SCI show in Reno, It looks like most Yukon sheep hunts are priced north of $15,000 to $16,000! As I said, you can get lower pricing in Alaska due to exchange rates, but I feel the average quality is lower than in the Yukon. Also, with few exceptions, in Alaska the outfitters do not have exclusive guide areas. It is possible two have two outfitters chasing sheep in the same area, not a good deal. Tim has exclusive guiding rights to about 10,000 square miles of prime sheep country in the Yukon.

I have been on five hunts with Tim over the years. Some with Tim as my guide and some with Tim guiding friends. I am two for two with Tim in the Yukon on Dalls (I just love to hunt sheep). One ram was a heavy 36"; the other 37" with 14" bases. My buddy took took one with Tim: 38" with 15" bases. (I also took a 41.5" Stonein BC ona hunt where Tim guided another guy to a 41' ram.) I would guess that by now Tim is close to booking full for 2009 but you should be OK for 2010.

Fair warning, Tim is expensive; but you truly get what you pay for, especially in sheep hunting! I wish you luck no matter who you book with. Everyone has their favorite game animal; but In my opinion it doesn't get any better than sheep hunting!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it Shato, after all it's just money and you can't take it with you when ya die!!

Dall is also on the very top of my list. Some day I will get'er done!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alaska will certianly be cheaper, like other's mentioned the quailty may not be as good as Canada, but how much extra is it worth to you? You should be able to get a hunt in AK with a respectable outfitter for under 10K....
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: FarNorth

I think it all depends on your expectations. I mean do you want a 40" or a good representative animal? As far as I'm concerned any leagal (full curl in AK) is one heck of a trophy. I think you might have already answered this.
As was said already the trophy quality is better in Canada than Alaska. Ten years ago that wasn't true, but Alaska's sheep hunting has gone downhill in the last few years, both in numbers and horn length.
I started guiding sheep hunts here in AK in 1990 and ave to say the glory days for white sheep here are gone. I do know a handful of small guide operations up here who are still doing well though. If you want some names let me know.
Well obviously I would love a 40+" who wouldn't. But, as you said any full curl ram would be a trophy.

I would greatly appreciate the names and contact info. for the guides you refered to.

Since you're from Alaska I would like to pick your mind a bit. I've read about the Brooks range, The wrangels, and the alaska range. From my reading Its hard to tell which would be the best. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Also, I've gotten some information from Terry Overly of Pioneer Outfitters. Are you familiar with this outfit? If so what are your thoughts.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shato, go for it, Dall sheep are right up there on the top of my list as well. Im currently saving money as we speak to go on this dream trip. My advice is go on the best hunt that you can afford, i dont know if refinancing the house is a good idea, but to each their own. If you can afford the yukon, go for it. One thing i do know is, i have never met someone on their deathbed say..." Man, i should have saved more money."
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

I would stick to either Yukon or Alaska.
Though I have friends that outfit in the Northwesterritories, I will not hunt there for 1 very simple reason.......................it is legal to use a helicopter to access your hunting area.
In my mind this takes away from fair chase.
That said, whatever you do, have fun and good luck.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Idid alot oflooking into sheep hunting and found that there are alot of taxes and extra fees as far as export tax for hunting in Cananda. I found an Outfitter in Alaska that hunts the Tok managment area, it is a lottery tag, but also offers another sheep hunt that is easier to draw. The thing is the Tok tag he runs 100% with almost a forty inch average. I spoke with him about applying but I am holding off untill after 2008 season, which I all ready have a moose hunt booked, the reason being he has hadclient's draw there frist year. I will be applying with him in 2009 for the Tok. His name is Matt Synder with Alaska Hunting Adventures www.Tokmanagementarea.com. Give him a call and also check out his web site I'll bet you willlike it!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 PM

I'm going with Bill Burwell to AK in Aug. At $15k Bill was higher than most outfitters I spoke with but his references checked out real well. Also, he flies his own plane which will stay at camp the whole time and he has horses. Last year I went to AK for mountain goat hunt. That was MISERABLE! The weather was horrible, food sucked, no heat and of the 7 days we signedup for we only got to hunt one. We're so mad at those goats we signed up again! But it did teach me a lesson. Modern conveniences are awesome - hence the plane and horses.
If you don't mind backpacking you can find hunts in the $9k range. But, you better be in pretty good shape. I'm in pretty good shape and I still want the plane and horses...

Quick Reply: Dall Sheep Hunt 2009

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.