Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk in Saskatuan

Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default Elk in Saskatuan

Anyone hunt elk in saskatchewan. Im seriously considering going to Northern Wildlife Ventures. Im looking for feedback from someone who has been there.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk in Saskatuan

I am sure your aware but JIC you didn't - NWV is a game ranch or fenced hunt. I live and hunt elk in Saskatchewan...the kind who live outside the fence. Notmuch onhigh fencesbut hey its your money and "adventure".
Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 PM

is it possible to hunt non- res in saskatchewan withoutan outfitter, and if so what would the quality of the experence be.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: caza

is it possible to hunt non- res in saskatchewan withoutan outfitter, and if so what would the quality of the experence be.
For an american resident a guide is required for big game(whitetail, Black bear and moose). In regards to elk only Sask. residents can hunt them at present. As far as the quality of experienceif one could, it would depend on the set up. I know elk hunters who shoot their bull every year without to much effort, places where the elk live in big blocks of bush or even the forest that borders argicultural lands that have very limited access...basically they wait for the elk to come to them. On the other hand the majority of elk hunters here aren't as fortunate and must rely on either luck or ability to find/locate and call. I'm in this bracket and find elk hunting the highlight of my fall quests. I have been fortunate enough to take 7 elk in as many years and been on over dozen where I was a caller, never firing a shot. I like calling them more then I like shooting them..really.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

cousin shot a 6x5 there, kinda a canned hunt I think it was. Why goto sas to hunt elk? whats wrong with out west? Haven't really heard of monster elk in sask. I hear of arizona, NM, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, MT, Idaho.....
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

All the elk hunts in Sask are "canned" or fenced operations for non-residents, of which their are plenty of moster elk available if willing to pay the price.[&:]

As far as the wild herd elkthe residents canhunt -300 class is a fine bull, anything higher is very goodanda few B&C bulls aretaken here every year. The biggestI heard of in07' was422" Non Typical. We have some good bulls but the fact only residents can hunt elk in sask. means it isn't even on the map for elk hunting.. Our bulls get heavy hunting pressures as our DNR for years believed in protecting cows and killing bulls. I agree we aren't even close to other areas in terms of quality or opportunity to kill big bull elk. I am fine with that, justfeel lucky to be able to persue them in my home province.

PS might add damn fine on the grill as well