Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elephant management strategy? >

Elephant management strategy?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elephant management strategy?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bambi....

RedRiverHntr,

You have obviously never hunted Africa if you think that hunting dangerous game is all about "Riding/walking around until you come upon something toshoot, dangerous animal or no". While it is possible to "road hunt" for game almost anywhere(witness road hunting for deer and antelope here in the states), that is by no means the way the vast majority of game is taken in Africa, especially dangerous game. Cape buffalo and elephanrt hunting to name just a couple often requires many days of tough hiking across difficult terrain in hot conditions following tracks untilyou get close enough to judge trophy quality. I averaged 9 -10 miles per day for my buff and my buddy did likewise for 5 days with ever firing a shot. As EKM stated, if you really want to get a flavor of what African hunting is really all about, visit the African forum at Accurate Reloading.com
Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

So if I read you right.....you say "that Cape buffalo and elephanrt hunting to name just a couple often requires many days of tough hiking across difficult terrain in hot conditions following tracks untilyou get close enough to judge trophy quality"?
Hmm, I stand corrected.
That is no way the same as "Riding/walking around until you come upon something toshoot, dangerous animal or no"!!! Obviously, I know nothing of this type of hunting!!!
I should have said "hiking" instead of "riding/walking". A grievious error to be sure! And grieviouslyhave I answered it!
Please forgive me?

Seriously, in no way was I trying to ridicule that or any other type of hunting. Please don't interpret my lack ofcolorful adjectives as somehow minimizing what is, like most hunts, more involved.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Manna from heaven.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO, if there was a forum for bigger game and more international hunting, there would in a short time be members from other forums and sites taking part on this site as well. Kinda like build it and they will come.

One good thing is that if someone has destain for this site, thay are sure welcome to leave. Others like the starter of this thread might be trying to change it for the better. Or at least broaden it.

A hunter is a hunter, sticks and strings, 12 Ga or 22, all are welcome here or at least they should be.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Originally by: JamesB

"....IMO, if there was a forum for bigger game and more international hunting, there would in a short time be members from other forums and sites taking part on this site as well. Kinda like build it and they will come.

One good thing is that if someone has destain for this site, thay are sure welcome to leave. Others like the starter of this thread might be trying to change it for the better. Or at least broaden it.

A hunter is a hunter, sticks and strings, 12 Ga or 22, all are welcome here or at least they should be. ...."
James, sorry, I'll get back to you in a day or so....
================================================== ==

Originally by: Kodi

"....RedRiverHntr,

You have obviously never hunted Africa if you think that hunting dangerous game is all about "Riding/walking around until you come upon something toshoot, dangerous animal or no". While it is possible to "road hunt" for game almost anywhere(witness road hunting for deer and antelope here in the states), that is by no means the way the vast majority of game is taken in Africa, especially dangerous game. Cape buffalo and elephanrt hunting to name just a couple often requires many days of tough hiking across difficult terrain in hot conditions following tracks untilyou get close enough to judge trophy quality. I averaged 9 -10 miles per day for my buff and my buddy did likewise for 5 days with ever firing a shot. As EKM stated, if you really want to get a flavor of what African hunting is really all about, visit the African forum at Accurate Reloading.com...."
Manna from heaven.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

So James, if I may ask then how would your proposed"bigger and more international" forum differ from the existing forum on HuntingNet.com:

"Regional Forums" ==> Other Areas (Canada, Alaska, etc.) forum?

What alltypes of hunting,specifically, are you proposing it would attract?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

The poster here was talking about African/Asian Game. There is no reason a forum for that hunting would not work here as it does on other sites. It doesn't matter to me as I post and discuss these things on The Accurate reloading forums and have for quite some time. This is a good site and I can't see a reason not to have other toics as well. I would love to see a Knife forum here as well.

Yes there are already several other sites that cover African Hunting Like Hunt America and Graybeard outdoors to name a few, so why not here?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default Elephant Management

"....Yes there are already several other sites that cover African Hunting Like Hunt America and Graybeard outdoors to name a few, so why not here?"
I don't know James, those huntersare a pretty limited in number and are apretty tight knit community that tends to stick together....

Do you think the "hometown boys" here could really get along with these International/Asian/African destination hunters "invading" the hometurf or do you think it would turn into a grouse, whine, and snipe situation?

It seems these International/Asian/African destination huntersseem to embodyso many elements thatso many hunters here seem to protest, demean, and put down on a regulation basis:

-- They arguably tend to have "more money than brains" as folks here like to say....
-- They often spend $10,000 on the low end for their hunts andoften $50,000 or more.
-- They tend to spend $1,000's for travel arrangementsgetting to and from the hunt.
--They often spend $1,000's for taxidermy.
-- They often spend $100's on tips.
-- Theydo essentially no DIY hunts.
-- They almost always involve professional hunter/guides & trackers& sometimes government game scouts.
-- They usually pursue trophy animals.
-- They frequently use heavy duty and expensive weaponry.
-- They appear to spend objectionable amounts oftime at SCIshopping forand bidding onhunts and other wild arse stuff.

Ithink it might make for a bit of culture conflict and create hard feelings between the "up-itty newcomers" and the "good-ole-boy groups" already here who will likely resent their presence. Might be best to justleavethem seperated on different web sites....

Generally, anyonewho has been over toAfrica a hunting.... may be kinda different.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elephant Management

African hunt: $10,000 +++

Letting this thread die: PRICELESS
Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elephant Management

By EKM: "....Do you think the "hometown boys" here could really get along with these International/Asian/African destination hunters "invading" the hometurf or do you think it would turn into a grouse, whine, and snipe situation? ...."
Followed by....

By Txhunter58: "....African hunt: $10,000 +++

Letting this thread die: PRICELESS...."
James, you can kinda see what I mean....
The "PRICE" and the "LESS" is kind of ironic/symptomatic though, in a Freudian slip kind of way.

Quick Reply: Elephant management strategy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.