Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 big horn in unlimited area anyone been there? >

big horn in unlimited area anyone been there?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

big horn in unlimited area anyone been there?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Default big horn in unlimited area anyone been there?

hey guys,

im new to this site i was directed here from a guy on trapperman.com. im looking into maybe going to the montana unlimited area to try for big horn. i know the sucess rate isnt real high but i dont have the money to spend on a "real hunt". im wondering if anyone can give me any info on this area as what units are better or what mt. range are better. or alltitude...etc.etc. i will appreciate any info you guys can give.

thanks much
bitter
Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: big horn in unlimited area anyone been there?

From what I know/hear about the unlimited areas, is they have a quota, so once filled they close, though I think most never fill/close. Some super tough hunting, some of the most rugged country in the lower 48 I hear as well few rams. I hear you about not being able to afford a bighorn hunt, few can at $20,000+ but playing the draw game is probably the best way to go if you really want to hunt bighorn and get one cheaply. Apply to everystate with rams, build pts, and eventually you'll get lucky somewhere. Also play the raffles, for $5-20 in most states you get an extra chance to get lucky. Many raffle hunts /tags are year round too, so you pick the dates/seasons/lcation, many are state wide tags. I'mdying for a MT bighorn tag. Its on my 20yr plan though, though I'll apply til I die if I still havent drawn a tag in 20-25yrs.

Might suggest calling MT fish and game and speaking to somewhere about the unlimited areas, they'll be able to tell you what those units are like, how many guys actually kill a ram/how many tags are issued etc...? Google it too, MT unlimited bighorn see what comes up. Let me know if you get one.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:45 PM

I agree, get in the raffles!! They're pretty much making it impossible for the working class stiffs (a.k.a. real hunters) toget a dream hunt like big horn sheep.I'm looking hard at WY. You can buy points between July1 - Sept. 30. One per year at $100 a pop. It's gonna take a while, but it's looking like the cheapest way to go from what I've seen so far.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Josh, WY has one of the most expensive bonus/pref pts for sheep/system.....though I am considering it as well, though I think other states I may apply for, since I'm already applying in others. Though WY, is a great sheep state.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 AM

Montana's unlimited units are the worst kind of cruel. What it does is get your hopes up only to smash them. I too looked into the unlimited a few years ago. I've always dreamt of hunting the bighorn sheep but never thought I'd be able to afford it. Then I came across the unlimited, and I was practically dancing a jig. That is until I researched the areas and found out that its pretty much a waste of time and effort.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Montana's unlimited units are the worst kind of cruel. What it does is get your hopes up only to smash them. I too looked into the unlimited a few years ago. I've always dreamt of hunting the bighorn sheep but never thought I'd be able to afford it. Then I came across the unlimited, and I was practically dancing a jig. That is until I researched the areas and found out that its pretty much a waste of time and effort.

I have hunted in one of the unlimited sheep areas & can tell you it is not a waste of time or money. I did not kill or see a single sheep on my hunt. I did however kill a 5x5-bull elk. There are sheep around in the areas that are open. I just ran out of time looking for them. I used to hunt elk in one of the unlimited sheep areas every year. Many times during my elk season I would run accross sheep.
If youget this tag spend the extra money on a outfitter.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure someone kills one every year, I just wonder how many guys get tags/go after them, and how many fill their tag, ie success rate? esp of non-res/non-guided. also non-res guided would be something to compare the 2 %'s. I guess the elk/sheep combo could be fun, but to me it seems liek you're either sheep hunting or elk hunting, though if the 2 tags were cheap, which I don't think they are, to pick up the other tag just in case would be nice, though as a non res spending an extra 750 for the sheep tag case you run into one, doesn't sound like a chance id wanna just spend cash on. and if im elk hunting, im putting in for other areas. though I know they say mt does have some great units, though from what i read most are not western part of the state but rather eastern units. have to let us know if you end up going/taking one.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

If you decide to go...be prepared to hunt long and hard in the unlimited areas. Not a hunt for everyone. A few good rams in those units. If you consider yourself a top notch hunter ingreat shape willing for a true mountain adventure, might be something to consider. Im on the "ground" floor of the sheep points as a residentin Montana so Ill keep hopingto draw alimited quota area. Basically any limited draw unit in Montana isdarn good.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 PM

I can see where you could learn a lot more about sheep hunting by giving it a try. also an oldtrophy hunter once told me every time you hunt an area you learn more about it, making your next trips odds better. a legal ram from one of these areas must be an ultimate trophy even if you make several trips.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

I bet if you research it you will find guides account for most of the filled tags. They have the ability to put people in the field weeks before season starts to find the rams. With the cost of ram hunts people wanting a ram and not drawing a tag that is a cheap option for them. Years ago when we hunted the area the hunt ended after 2 or 3 mature rams were harvested. Don't know if it is the same now or not. We went up a week early to start scouting. We did see the rams. As they were going out on the guides horses. The person we talked to said they had been up a month in advance and found the rams. Met the paying hunters 3 days before season and it was a slam bam thank you hunt opening morning. What a waste of time, effort and money for the average Joe going up hunting. By the way I had a relative who lived in Montana and went up scouting on the weekends in addition to us going up a week before season.

Goatslayer........

Quick Reply: big horn in unlimited area anyone been there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.