Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 HOW ARE THE GAME HERDS DOING THIS WINTER >

HOW ARE THE GAME HERDS DOING THIS WINTER

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

HOW ARE THE GAME HERDS DOING THIS WINTER

Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Default HOW ARE THE GAME HERDS DOING THIS WINTER

Starting to apply out west and just wondering how hard so far the winter has been on the game herds. I hope all is well but have been seeing reports of a lot of snow early in sone areas
Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: HOW ARE THE GAME HERDS DOING THIS WINTER

The deer herd is northern Ut. is being fed, probably loose a few. The herd in central part and southern part of state still doing good.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read that I think CO was planning to feed the heard, I guess a long hard wet winter? This just seems crazy to me that a state would pay etc....to feed/artificially a herd? I guess they don't want severe die off, just seems very unnatural, I surprised the envrionmentalists arent raising a fuss over feeding? Just seems like they would let nature work its magic and work more towards managing the heards, setting harvest numbers etc...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

So far Arizona is doing fantastic and it promises to be an excellent year. So far I have had over 3.5 inches of soft rain (the kind that soaks in and doesn't run off) here in Phoenix and the the mountains have had excellent snow fall and the snow pack is great as well. Looking forward to getting drawn this fall for elk, deer, and antelope if possible.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I read that I think CO was planning to feed the heard, I guess a long hard wet winter? This just seems crazy to me that a state would pay etc....to feed/artificially a herd? I guess they don't want severe die off, just seems very unnatural, I surprised the envrionmentalists arent raising a fuss over feeding? Just seems like they would let nature work its magic and work more towards managing the heards, setting harvest numbers etc...

CO was planning on feeding their deer herds in some parts of the state. The deep, blowing snow was hammering them pretty good. Coors-Molson donated a bunch of grain for the effort, so the state didn't actually have to pay for the grain. I heard Utah herds were getting hit pretty good too, but haven't read anything about it.

WY has been feeding elk herds during the winter for a long time. It makes a lot of sense if you stop to think about it. Elk are worth a lot more to the state's economy when they're alive. Hunters, business owners, and naturalist alike benefit from supplementary feeding because it assures there will still be elk alive for everyone to enjoy. It also reduces conflicts between ranchers and elk.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, the deer and elk are being fed in the Gunnison valley of CO. do to way above average snow falls. Some parts of the CO. high country have about 175% of average snow fall so far, and the snowiest months yet to come.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Mule deer in Western SD are doing well. It's been cold but not to much snow cover.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Most states try not to feed but exceptional winters like this one mean they have to. A lot of the native winter ranges that held good feed have been lost to the countless housing devleopments in the west.. which is whyI'm a member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. www.rmef.org Habitat preseveration is the best thing to preserve the herd and hunting.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have been wondering about the herds here in NW MT. January absolutely had to have kicked their butts. The problem here is, and I may be completely off base, but we haven't had this kind of snow since 96-97, and most of the elk that are alive now haven't seen a real winter. I am afraid many went to wintering grounds they have used for the past 7-8 years and got marrooned and are probably not going to make it. March will be the tell tale. Hopefully their was some old cows around that knew where to go.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
BKC

I hope montana is good this year I will be hunting by Libby Mt this year Deer and Elk and put my antelope tag in Wyoming 104 100 103 first time antelope hunting ever

Quick Reply: HOW ARE THE GAME HERDS DOING THIS WINTER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.