Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Broadheads

Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Elk Broadheads

I got an archery elk hunt planned for this 2008 season and am working on getting all the gear I need and am not sure on which broadheads will do the most damage and put an elk down as quick as possible. I do not want a mechanical cause I hear they take too much of my penetration. I am looking at the fixed blade but need one that flys true like field tips, has little wind resistance when shooting out to 60-70 yrds, and great penetration.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Elk Broadheads

Slick Trick.

If you are shooting lower poundage and/ orwant the absolute most penetration get the standard 1" 4 blade
If you are shooting 60 pounds or more and/ or want excelent penetration and more cutting surface get the magnum 1-1/8" 4 blade.

Slick Trick is also coming out with a cut on contact 4 blade called the razor trick. If this one is as tough and well made as the original slick tricksit shouldbe an almost indestructible COC head.

http://slicktrick.net/
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Spike

I am shooting a 70lbs. Martin Saber with 300 grain arrow - 400 grainswith tip.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

NAP Hellrazor or Magnus Stinger
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guy on my recent elk trip took an elk with the rage 2 blade, but I read that the 2" cutting surface is rather large and probably would be better for smaller game, though elk would have wider ribs so I'm not sure.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM

This passed fall I used a muzzy 4 blade 100gr. and the bull went 35 yards and droped.It was a very strong quartering away shot ,entered just in front of the hind quarter and stoped on the far shoulder bone. It's all in the shot placement .Good luck and only take a high % shot.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Magnus stinger buzzcut , .. the most accurate i have ever used
Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

3 blade Magnus Snuffer
Old 02-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Magnus stinger 125 w/ bleeder blades. They are indistructable, priced right, fly great and truely penatrate. I'd go with a 125gr for "front of center" balance andmore penatration.No fixed blade broadhead will fly like a field point, I don't care what they advertize, some are a lot better than others but none withfield point accuracy. You are going to have to tuneeach broadheadwith an arrow that it flies good with. I can take 6 heads and a dozen arrows and find 3-4 that shoot almost dead'on and 1-2 more that will be and inch or two off at 60yds. Practice practice practice till you need to replace your sting, and do it in all different types of set-ups. Shooting broadheads will quickly dull them and these heads are so easy to sharpen. While in camp I sharpen my heads about every other day. I have reused several of these after replacing the bleeder blades and they are quite cheap too.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigger then deer I now prefer a COC head, but have taken moose/elk with muzzy and thunderheads as well. I currently use Steelforce Premium 100gr, they have performed excellent on everything upto/including moose and shoot lights out in my Martin bow. I started with the 2 blade version but like the bleeder blade versions for better blood trails when hunting bear. I just ordered their new 1 1/4" cut100gr head vs the 1"I am currently using.I also used magnus stinger with bleeder blades for the one season but only took deer witn that head. The steelforce just shoot better for me and their CS has been awesome IME. I have found SF'ssharper out of the package then magnus (mine have been scary sharp actually).

I have heard good things about slick tricks from a good friend of mine who has taken bull moose with them. My partner uses Montec G5's and they have performed well, he took a young bull elk with them a couple years ago.

Quick Reply: Elk Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.