Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Which gun should I use...Please Help >

Which gun should I use...Please Help

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which gun should I use...Please Help

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which gun should I use...Please Help

At 50 yards, I'm not sure the 06 would expand enough to do sufficient damage. A great chance of a pass through without causing lethal damage.
Huh? explain that to me
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

At 50 yards, I'm not sure the 06 would expand enough to do sufficient damage. A great chance of a pass through without causing lethal damage.
Huh? explain that to me
In myexperience, a close up shot with a high powered rifled is more likely to pass through the animal without significant expansion and therefore do little damage. I have had to repeat shots (as the critter still walks!) at close ranges vs. one shot "drops" at longer distances. I accredit this to the bullet slowing down and expanding on impact as it was designed to do.
The 438 grain slug at about 100fps slower at the muzzle is going to deliver almost 300 ft lbs. @ 50 yards, shock the animal, expand to do maximum internal damage, and drop the critter where it stands.

Apparently you disagree. More power to ya!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Apparently you disagree. More power to ya!
Ahhh yea lol, generaly the faster you drive a bullet the more violently it will expand. A perfect example of this is the difference between a bullet designed to be shot out of a 30-30 loaded into a 30-06. Same bullet diameter but built to expand at a much lower velocity, if you load them into 06 sometimes the darn things dont penetrate at all, the jacket isnt designed for that velocity, now slow it down several hundred feet per second and that very same bullet will penetrate just fine. Anyway my 2 cents
Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

.30-06 with 180 grain bullets. Plenty of knock down power. More fun to hunt with a scoped, high power rifle than a shotgun shooting slugs any day.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 PM

Any of the weaponry mentioned will work fine. Take the animal with respect. It survives in a harsh environment every day and has earned the respect. True hunters understand that.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Use the one you can shoot the best and are most comfortable with. Either gun willkill a blackie at 50 paces if you put the lead where it goes. The slug gun will do it with immediate authority, the '06 may have a little less immediate effect, but it will get the job done. (Note: Alaskans who regularly fish and hunt in grizzly territory seem to favor carrying a 12 gauge over carrying an '06 slung over their shoulder. Could be that they know something that those of us down here in the lower 48 don't.)

Regards, & Good Huntin',
LlindeX