Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Why are hunts so damn expensive??? >

Why are hunts so damn expensive???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why are hunts so damn expensive???

Old 02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why are hunts so damn expensive???

I just had an outfitter email me about a Barren Ground Caribou hunt. He didn't include a price, but I told him I am just a regular working classguy and most likely couldn't afford it. He emailed back and said it would only be $7700.00!! I think I'm just going to settle for spring turkey here in Ohio!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

I know $1000 is alot of money but if you ever want to hunt out west, it's not hard to skip eating out or conserve in other ways and hunt DIY for elk. It will never get any cheaper!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting Canada is going to be very expensive because of the weakness of the US dollar compared to the loonie.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mentioned this earlier if you guys have the money and want good trophies come to Scotland its 400 bucks for 1 red stag and the hunt is for 5 days.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

DIY hunts are grate , here what I feel about that . I think it would be grate to do one but My draw backs are.
To drive from east coast I guess at $500-$1000 gas
Food and lodging week $500 if split with some one else
License draw depending on what state or over the counter
Hunting on public land - I would like to have scouted before hand
But it would take atleast 2 weeks of hunting or get lucky to have taken a good animal
It can be done with work or luck.
I am looking into a few hunts this year , as soon as Taxes come back (working Man) Mexico for $7000 mule deer and Coues 10 days , also I have spoke by pm and email to a few outfitters on her on Mule deer hunts.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya i wish i could afford an elk hunt or pronghorn hunt, maybe mulie[&:]
Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

WY antelope is a perfect DIY hunt. It can be done on the real cheap. Lots of goats, lots of public land. Cost would be nothing but gas & tag cost. CB
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Ive done 4 elk hunts, 3 in idaho, 1 in Montana, all DIY. If you can get 4 guys together it really helps keep the costs down. On each trip Ive spent right around 1,100 bucks to do the hunt, that includes lic. gas, lodging and food. I think alot of east cost hunters are intimadated for lack of a better word about where to begin, there worried they wont have a decent shot at a bull or worstwont see any game. My advice to you is study the game/fish web sites for western states, for the most part those will be, Idaho, Montana, Coloradoand Wyoming. Do your home work and by all means call the wildlife biologist for the area your thinking of hunting, they have always been a huge help to me. Also download google earth, it will give you a real good idea of the terrian and vegatation of the area your thinking of hunting. And then bite the bullet, your only a new western hunter the first time, heck last time I hunted Idaho I did it by myself and Im a dumb pennsylvania dutchmen, suck it up and go.

A buddy of mine sumed it up real good for me years ago, about doing what you dream of, his words were, No one has ever layed on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at the office.

If anyone would like some help in planning a hunt, drop me a pm, Im always glad to help out a fellow hunter!!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckshot

Ive done 4 elk hunts, 3 in idaho, 1 in Montana, all DIY. If you can get 4 guys together it really helps keep the costs down. On each trip Ive spent right around 1,100 bucks to do the hunt, that includes lic. gas, lodging and food. I think alot of east cost hunters are intimadated for lack of a better word about where to begin, there worried they wont have a decent shot at a bull or worstwont see any game. My advice to you is study the game/fish web sites for western states, for the most part those will be, Idaho, Montana, Coloradoand Wyoming. Do your home work and by all means call the wildlife biologist for the area your thinking of hunting, they have always been a huge help to me. Also download google earth, it will give you a real good idea of the terrian and vegatation of the area your thinking of hunting. And then bite the bullet, your only a new western hunter the first time, heck last time I hunted Idaho I did it by myself and Im a dumb pennsylvania dutchmen, suck it up and go.

A buddy of mine sumed it up real good for me years ago, about doing what you dream of, his words were, No one has ever layed on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at the office.

If anyone would like some help in planning a hunt, drop me a pm, Im always glad to help out a fellow hunter!!!!
Yepper, Buckshot.

Do some homework and go for it without the use of a guide and I'll guarantee you you'll have just as much fun and save $$$. If anything esle use it as a scouting trip for the next year and your'll still be ahead and save some big $$$. Just do some homework. If you want someone to fix your breakfast and dinner and set you up in a stand and field dress your animal then your going to pay for Tom takeing care of you and making you feel comfortable. It all depends on your expectatations and as well as your comfort zone.

Bobby

Bobby
Old 02-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

I know $1000 is alot of money but if you ever want to hunt out west, it's not hard to skip eating out or conserve in other ways and hunt DIY for elk. It will never get any cheaper!
The last DIY Mule Deer hunt we did in WY. cost us $600. each. We're looking into a DIY Bow Hunt for Elk. The only way to go.

Quick Reply: Why are hunts so damn expensive???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.