Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
any advise on pig hunting? >

any advise on pig hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

any advise on pig hunting?

Old 02-05-2003, 07:48 PM

Default any advise on pig hunting?

Just moved to California 2 years ago and finially getting around to go pig hunting in Northern part, On some naval base with a friend. Dont know much about pig hunting, any advise would be nice thank you.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:17 PM

Default RE: any advise on pig hunting?

Shoot the sow before the piglets, she gets pretty pissed if you go shootin the piglets first. The piglets make good barbecue, stuff them whole into a crock pot pour in your fav Q sauce and let her huff. MMMM MMMMM Good!!

Why am I sittin here on this stupid PC when I could be huntin'
Old 02-06-2003, 10:12 PM

I've hunted hogs in the Orland area on a ranch that a friend of mine has occasional access to. The hogs in that area are are all of Russian variety. We travel the the ridges on ATV's and glass teh valleys and opposite hillsides. If your talking about Beale AFB, those hogs will most likely be Russians as well. They're big snaggle tooth ugly suckers and they're fast as lightning soon as the shootin starts. Hunt them in the manzanita during the day when it's warm, something bout the manzanita keeps the bugs off em, and they like it.

They're mean as hell when wounded, even the little ones...don't take no chances. After you kill a boar and get a look in his mouth you'll see what I'm talking about.

Easiest way to dress them is to dip them in boiling water, the hide peels off like an orange. Otherwise you gotta skin em and they skin hard cause of the plate over their shoulders.

Good Luck!

PS. If you come up short of guns and need an extra I'm always up for a hunt!!!

Life begins where the pavement ends!
Old 02-07-2003, 05:07 PM

You might want to purchase the "Hunting Wild Boar in California Volume II" book. They have it on Ebay for $17.50. It's written by Bob Robb and gives a lot of detailed info about hunting boars in California.