HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Looking to go back Elk hunting**Need advice** (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/228968-looking-go-back-elk-hunting-need-advice.html)

TrophyWhitetails 01-24-2008 08:24 PM

Looking to go back Elk hunting**Need advice**

I have the itch to get back to God's country. I use to go mule deer / elk hunting near meeker, Co. I now have been looking to get back. My questions to anyone that can help is, do I bow, muzzleloader, or rifle hunt for elk? I've done the rifle hunt for elk, and have came away with a cow. I have came away with a few mule deer though.

I would do a self guided hunt. Since it has been 8 years, I was hoping someone who just hunted the area or lives in the area could help me out.

What area would be my best bet to hunt? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

camelcluch 01-25-2008 05:07 AM

RE: Looking to go back Elk hunting**Need advice**

Meeker is still good and any season should be fine. Of course your bow will be a lower chance of getting your animal but that is the obvious. The seaseon you chose should be looked at with the total package. Do you want to hunt deer too, weather, and area. Either way you should have a good time.

rbullom 01-25-2008 06:28 PM

If you've been to Meeker before, go back. If you go archey go the last week of the season,,,,,,,smoke stick no choice but a good time,,,,,,,,rifle early if you go high,,,,,,late if you go low (west of town). Don't expect monsters but next year should be a good year for some 3 1/2 year old bulls rather than the regular rag horn 2 1/2 year old bulls because of the low harvest this year in the 2, 3 and 4th seasons due to the weather. It should be one of the best years for better than average bulls in many years because of the warm weather into late November this past year.

TrophyWhitetails 01-31-2008 06:04 PM

Do you have any specific suggestions since its been awhile the last time I was out there? What area would I have the best luck? I'm looking to go Muzz, or Rifle.

rbullom 01-31-2008 09:00 PM

If you want a guide send me a personal email and I will give you some names of people I know personally. If you want to go it on your own then go high during smoke stick or the first rifle. low during the last rifle. skip the middle seasons when the animals are in transition when more of them are on private property. If you are able to pay about $3K you will see elk and your odds with some of the people I know are pushing 90% if you can walk and are an average or above shot. You will have to send me a PM if you want contacts.

danyam125 02-02-2008 06:43 PM

I muzzleload,my partner bow hunts. We hunt here in Colorado during the rut and planning a hunt this year down in Durango. Hre is a tip go to www.elkcamp.com. Check out these books Elk hunting 101-201-301, I have read these twice and they work. They are about hunting colorado on public land.