Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt? >

Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

I'm getting excited already for my Wyoming elk hunt this fall and I haven't even been drawn for the tag yet! (But I've applied and previous years the tag I've applied for has been drawn at 100% success with 1 prefrence point and I have one!)

I'm going with a friend who lives in Powell and they have had pretty good success in the past hunting some wilderness area in late September during the rut. I need to get a cow call for sure but was wondering if one of the portable decoys actually would help or not. I was thinking that I would buy one and give it to him at the end of the hunt as a thank you.

Has anyone used these for rifle hunting during the rut? Which one would be the best to get the profile or the rump or facing view ones?

We will be hunting with 2 or 3 guys, would it be better to get a couple decoys?

Not sure if the decoys really are needed or not for rifle but I was thinking they might not hurt. The area we will be hunting in is very thick and sometimes even with a rifle your shots are 40 or 50 yards.

What do you think?

Thanks, Nathan
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM

Default RE: Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Are you retarded? I can only assume you are joking.[>:]
Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley699

Are you retarded? I can only assume you are joking.[>:]
Sorry, I'm not joking so I guess I'm retarded?

I've seen these decoys used effectively for bowhunting, but I was thinking they might be useful for rifle hunting as well. I'm not sure why my question is so stupid?
Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM

I like the side view one ,my brother had one this year for archey season and I really like it.But I would not use it in any gun season anywhere,it's to dangerous and I couln't see were it would help youfor gun hunting.Goodluck on the tag .

[/align]
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

But I would not use it in any gun season anywhere,it's to dangerous and I couln't see were it would help youfor gun hunting.Goodluck on the tag .

[/align]
Okay, nowI understand. I was thinking more along the lines of setting one of those up several yards away from where I would be standing or sitting in an open spot to draw the bulls in from far off rather than sitting right behind it but I guess that still could be dangerous with other folks out there with rifles. I hadn't even contemplated that part so I guess I am retarded.

I was thin
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: npaden

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

But I would not use it in any gun season anywhere,it's to dangerous and I couln't see were it would help youfor gun hunting.Goodluck on the tag .

[/align]
Okay, nowI understand. I was thinking more along the lines of setting one of those up several yards away from where I would be standing or sitting in an open spot to draw the bulls in from far off rather than sitting right behind it but I guess that still could be dangerous with other folks out there with rifles. I hadn't even contemplated that part so I guess I am retarded.

I was thin
LOL, maybe just got caught up in the excitment, besides, the way those wyoming boys shoot, several hundred yards away wouldn't be safe enough.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

seems pretty dangerous to use one during rifle season
Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

dangerous haha.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 AM

While it could be dangerous, I wouldn't rule it out either. If I was hunting in a wilderness area like you mention, where there was very little pressure. I wouldn't see the harm, in doing as you mentioned. Now, If I was hunting where there was a lot of hunters stomping around I wouldn't for sure.

OBTW, You're not retarded at all. Whomever posted that is just a JACKA$$!!!! If/when I return to BC on an elk hunt I intend to take my decoy along. But, we horse packed in several miles past the trailhead so I'm confident that we where pretty much alone.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Using a decoy like those on public land will assure your demise. They are ok on a big private ranch maybe where you have no other hunters around. Remember please, TV is for entertainment. It aint real no matter what Will Primos says.

Quick Reply: Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.