Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt? >

Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

This is directed at you . . . muley699 . . .

"besides, the way those wyoming boys shoot, several hundred yards away wouldn't be safe enough."
[/align]
[/align]Anybody else you wanna piss off?
[/align]Texas . . . Wyoming . . .?
[/align]I'll tell you this, our first thought on ANY shot is to be ethical and humane!
[/align]
Oh quit your whinning, there is a winking smiley at the end of that Wyoming post and you know it.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

It's hilarious that after 3 pages no one has mentioned the obvious.

IT'S ILLEGAL!

Okay, go ahead and read up on Wyoming game regs, but I can tell you it's illegal in Montana. You may use a decoy only in bow seasons, not in rifle season. I'll bet it's the same in Wyoming.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

IT'S ILLEGAL!

Okay, go ahead and read up on Wyoming game regs, but I can tell you it's illegal in Montana. You may use a decoy only in bow seasons, not in rifle season. I'll bet it's the same in Wyoming.
Sorry,you're probably going to lose that bet. It isn't illegal in Wyoming as far as I can tell.

It isn't mentioned anywhere in their regulations, the only reference I could find was on a FAQ section.

ASK THE GAME & FISH
8/10/2007

Q. "Is it OK to construct a permanent blind and use a decoy to hunt antelope during the archery season?
A. There certainly are no restrictions to using a blind or decoys to hunt antelope, or for that matter, any other big game species. If you're hunting on public lands it is permissible to construct a temporary blind, but the structure must removed after the season. Any construction of blinds on private land is between the hunter and the landowner.

-WGFD-
In the question they mention archery season but in the answer they simply say there are no restrictions. Not a smoking gun either way.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

IT'S ILLEGAL!

I double checked the Montana hunting regulations and I couldn't find anything saying a decoy was illegal in Montana either. Where did you see that in the regulations? It says it is illegal to shoot at a decoy, but I couldn't see anything on using a decoy whether it be archery season or rifle season. They have very detailed regulations on scents, game calls, etc. but I didn't see any mention of decoys.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I thought they were a little to expincive but I think they would work well but then again I never used them
Old 01-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

I could dig it up if I really had to, but I can tell you that the sales reps for the decoys will tell youthat it's illegal to use them in rifle season in MT. I did take the liberty of assuming the same would be true for WY.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Those other fellers are the retarded ones. I've used the side view decoy for 5 years during rifle seasonwith 100% success. Have at it, and then post the pictures of your elk to show the doubters!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as which montana to buy if you do buy one, Elk I - Side/looking back view is my fave.

FWIW I've used mine during regular rifle season. Let me clarify that it is bulls only, so being no antlers it should be safe right their (). However I still only used in areas where I knew I was the only one that would see it (aka private land). I can rely an experiencefrom another party where they had two guys do a creep on the decoy during the same season and to boot it was also on posted/private land. So use caution and never assume! If I were to use it where I thought even a remote chance of another hunter seeing it, I would add some hunter orange to it..like a hanger chief around it's neckbut no loose ends to blow. Being 2 'd and blaze orange this should slow even the smallest of minds..one would think or HOPE[]!

As to calls pick up 1 or more cow calls and start practicing ASAP. Lots of sources to hear/learn sounds and then mimic, a month may not be long enough to get down (especially in the heat of the moment). While calling is an art that doesn't come in a month or even a year or two, I think going without at least a single cow tone in your pocket is silly. Even if it is just to stop or draw a passing bull out for a clearing it worth the effort and minimal expense. I know simple cow calls have bought me opportunities and I wouldn't be caught without one anytime I was chasing elk. Rut or not it's a vocalization, not unlike a deer grunt, may just be the help you need to squeeze one off to notch your tag.

Good Luck and enjoy chasingone of themost majestic, fun and toughest game animal in NA. Be prepared, Elkgetsin your blood and stays.