Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt? >

Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM

Default RE: Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Dangerous yes, but if it's real thick it may not be to bad, we hunt some thick stuff here and a big problem we have is theelk seeing us before we see them,if you can open up that decoy quickly and with a few cow calls, then it mite buy you some time for a shot, but I would be very careful with the way you use it,DO NOT use it in a very open area though. I think it could be a very nice thing to have just be careful with it, and you are NOT a retar
Old 01-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Using a decoy like the Montana decoys on public land during rifle season is retarded, period the end. You are never alone, no matter how far you get back. sure, maybe nobody is around for a few days, but it is a recipe for a stupid accident to happen.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have called hunters in after hiking in 8 miles. I would not use one during rifle season. You could be popping the decoy up while someone is looking. Imagine what the other hunter will see when you are twisting it around trying to get it into position.

Not only would you be doing yourself a disservice if an accident happens, but you are also putting the other guy in a bad situation too.......
Old 01-19-2008, 04:28 PM

This is directed at you . . . muley699 . . .

"besides, the way those wyoming boys shoot, several hundred yards away wouldn't be safe enough."[/align][/align]Anybody else you wanna piss off? [/align]Texas . . . Wyoming . . .?[/align]I'll tell you this, our first thought on ANY shot is to be ethical and humane![/align]
Old 01-19-2008, 04:36 PM

I'd say buy the full side decoy, give it to your friend as a gift, (unoppened), and leave the cow calling to the more experienced. All you will do is educate the elk as to where you are, and will avoid you like the plague.
Elk hunting with rifle is more about scouting, patterning, climbing up & down mountains, and hunting your quarry. It's not the rut, and the elk will likely not come in to a cow call.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually we will be hunting during the rut. In the wilderness areas the season opens on September 20th in the wilderness area that we will be hunting in. My friend strictly rifle hunts so I doubt he will be interested in the decoy.

I thought cow calling was pretty straightforward? I'll be spending a week with my friend in early August, I was thinking I could practice my cow calling then.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 AM

Good luck drawing a tag . . .

And good luck with your hunt. There's nothing that will match the "elk" mountains in September. Bugling bulls, Aspen turning colors . . . soak it all in and enjoy!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Is your friend an actual guide? I hunt Wyoming and I stay clear of wilderness areas due to the guide requirement Wyoming has for any non resident hunter hunting wilderness areas.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My understanding is thata Wyoming resident can "guide" up to 4 people a year without having to get an outfitters license. My friend is not a guide but that is what he told me. Not sure if he has to file any type of paperwork with the state or not. I'll have to double check that.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I double checked on the guide rules, looks like I don't have to give him a thank you gift as it would be against the law!

No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters. The commission may also specify other areas of the state, or specific big or trophy game species, for which a licensed professional or resident guide is required for nonresidents, for purposes of proper game management, protection of hunter welfare and safety, or better enforcement of game and fish laws. The commission may allow licensed guides to accompany more than two (2) hunters but no more than six (6) hunters in specific areas.

Any resident possessing a valid resident big or trophy game animal license may apply for and receive a resident guide license. The resident guide license shall be issued without charge or bond by the commission, any district supervisor or resident game warden upon receipt of an affidavit from the resident stating the names and addresses of the nonresident hunters to be guided, the game to be hunted, the area to be hunted, and that the resident has not received nor will accept directly or indirectly any compensation for his services as a guide. A resident guide shall not guide more than two (2) nonresident hunters in any calendar year on any national forest, wilderness area, national game refuge, or national park, except as provided in W.S. 23-2-401, nor shall he accept any compensation or gratuity for his services. The name and license number of the nonresident hunter shall be placed on the back of the resident guide license and stamped or signed by the issuer.

Quick Reply: Montana Elk Decoy on Rifle Hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.