Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Hunting Story Ever!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best Hunting Story Ever!

Yes, it does seem a bit 'fishy'. That griz looks like its pushing 600 lbs and it knocked both of them guys down and neither one has a scratch!!! If I was a game warden I would be asking a lot of questions about this and one of those guys had better have a grizzly tag.
My opinion is that they came back to the moose and saw the bear there and shot it, then made up the story.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM

i agree with bronko.. if all of that did happen, show pics of the scratches. there has to be atleast one. if the bear knocked them down those claws would be doin some damage. i agree with bronko that they shot the moose and came back and found the bear on the moose.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly! And you're again correct in that they better have some serious scratches or a grizzly tag before they shot that grizzly.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM

I checked around and this story has been posted to different forums in the past.

http://siloutdoors.com/showthread.php?t=80

http://blogs.aviation.ca/index.php/steve.php/2006/10/29/my_favourite_hunting_story_2006_the_long

Here is probably the most detailed version from an Anchorage New site.
http://dwb.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/story/8632924p-8525255c.html

I too might suspect why they left their rifles behind. But having quartered and packed many elk and one moose a long ways out (how many whitetail hunters know that routine?) of the middle of nowhere, you tend to want to travel light and that can get in the way of thinking about self preservation.

Even if they sold everyone a BS story to cover killing a bear, it is a good read.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM

I believe the story. I've got no reason not to. Show me some proof that its false! In this country a person is innocent until proven guilty. A game warden must prove that the story is false.

Even if they don't have any scratches, at some point shouldn't a person have the right to protect themself. I mean if someone breaks into your house and you feel like your life is in danger, you have the right to use deadly force.

I for one wouldn't wait until a bear had done damage to me. If I'm in the bush at a kill site and a grizzly charges me its getting shot. The rest of you can wait until it has its claws or teeth in you before you shoot, not me. 10 yards is my limit, if the bears don't want lead flying their direction they better stay at least 10 yards away! Then I'd hire a meanest, nastiest, lawyer I could. Game wardens can take your guns and hunting rights but they can't help you is your disabled or worse dead.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM

Good story. Thanks for sharing.