Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Canada Guides "Read" !

Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Canada Guides "Read" !

I would like to sharea bad experience with an outfitter in BC Canada on a Trophy Moose hunt so you won't fall into the same trap as we did on a September/ October hunt which they called it a trophy moose hunt.Considered bad:> Over booking the hunt,where the main guide had to acquire a new guide which had zero experience of the area. > Primarily a road hunt, spot and stock thru a windshield of a truck. > No prior scouting or preparation of equipment. No plan ahead strategies what so ever!> There web site is all hype, pump, pumpand dump marketing ploy! They actually are false advertising of their web site on Huntingnet.com, we saw maybe 1% of remote area no horses, no ATV's as shown on their site.> Clients doing their own skinning and cutting of game cause they were just plain lazy!> They would only road hunt but would rashin gasoline toabout 4-5 gallons per day per truck, one time we ran out of gas andother clients paid out of their pocket to fill the guides truck cause they did not want to run out!> Hunting. Driving on100% public land while major tree logging was going on!!> Guide not willing to pursue moose if they were not on or along the road! "I'm not going to work any harder than I have to" (quote).> Hidden transportation fees for meat and hiddenfees for shipping hides to US, two of us had to donate the meat cause of the huge up lift on cost.Considered good:> accommodations were good and the food was great!be ware of Backcountry Guide Outfitters or also known as BC Guide Outfitters
Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Default RE: Canada Guides "Read" !

ya that sucks. but it sounds like you atleast seen moose! i went to alberta and seen only 2 moose in 6 days. the last one i had to show the "guide" the moose, the other "guide" couldn't even find it! it was like handing your bino's to your kid for the first time!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Ya, and you know what else, 2 of us in the hunting party from US had to donate the moose meat cause the price trippled for processing and shipping due to so called custom fee's! So leason learned "don't process your meat in Canada bring what you can with you in the plane and then give them the rest of the meat. The total for processing and shipping + fee's for about 250 lbs of meat where over $1200.00 per moose, that was with a huge discount from FEDX........ IN SANE !
Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Spike

Hey EP , Sounds like you batted 1000. on all the wrong things. I guide whitetail in N. Ontario. I have a simple website . No grand promises, etc. It seems that with many
" outfitters" , the marketing strategy outweighs the guests real need for information.
Always ask for a reference(s) . Do these references know you are calling ? ( I don't tell mine, that way you get an honest answer , not a prepared statement .)
Are there hidden fees - Ontario has a $40 export permit requirement- I tell my guests upfront about that, as well as the $25 for a Canadian gov't firearms permit . Why suprise someone !
Also, a call to the local game warden is a good idea , they'll know if there are actually any animals in the area. most provinces also publish their ariel survey results after the winter survey.
( my brother got a moose tag in N Ont, drove 500 mi = saw 0 moose ! had all been clear cut - looked like the moon ) Remember, it's usually 5% of the people that are 95 % of the problem. Guys like that are bad for all of us- hunter and outfitter . Thanks for sharing your experience , hope your next trip turns out better.later, W>
Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like those dudes were bums, sorry you had a bad experience
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I think ill pass on that outfitter in the future thanks for the warning.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 PM

Hi, I guide for a 80-90% average outfit here in Northern Manitoba,have had great success and all the clients have bin Happy, " Mystery Country Outposts " and would be pleased to give you some info. if your not satisfied with the site!, just send your e-mail and then we can talk Bush,( Kidding ) ,I'm a reg'd trapper in Northern Manitoba and can talk your ear's off ! EVEN SEND YOU PICTURES.

P.S. I also feel that it's a bum rap to treat customers in the way you were treated, i usually include shore lunches on our Trips! even tho it's not required, If needed be ?,I would givethe shirt off your friends back if it was to be. "JUST JOKING" Take Care, looking forward to Speaking at you!!

Your Friendly Neighborhood Injun Guide, Jim "all his Toe's"