Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Side arm vs. Grizzley

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default Side arm vs. Grizzley

Thinking about doing a little bow elk hunting in grizzley country with a couple of friends. Is is worth the effort to pack a side arm considering I am not a great shot with one (I would only use if I absolutely had to)? Is a .45adequate (I know a .44 is better)?Use pepper spray only? Roll up in a ball and hope for the best? Hunt with a slower partner?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Side arm vs. Grizzley

I would recommend pepper spray. You may just get yourself into more trouble by shooting at a bearif you aren't proficient with thehandgun. But a slow parnter works too.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

No 45. Why risk your LIFE.

Nothing less than 44 magnum.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Up here in British Columbia where a sidearm isn't an optionmy partners and I eachlegally carry a 12 guage folding stocked Winchester 1300 Defender as a security weaponwhen we're hunting SE B.C., with the first 2 rounds OO buck followed by 5 rifled slugs.If you have any reason to believe you might have bear problems etc. I would think a 45cal handgun used on something with a 900 lb + body weightwould be a death knell for sure and bearspray is just seasoning.We've had occasion to have to get out of an area to avoid a problem several times,avoidance is the best way to be safe-- situation awareness -- but you can bet your %^&# the 12 guages were loaded and the safeties were off each and every time we left the scene.If you've never had an encounter with a Grizz usually the first time a good fresh roll of Charmin and a change of drawers would be the order of the day ---------

Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. I've only seen 3 Grizzly's in my life. Sadly, those three were in a trailer at a sports show that some man had, that had raised them from cubs. They were basically tame. He was rolling around on the floor with them like they were puppies. Anyway, after seeing those 3 bear, and the size of them compared to the man, I'm now a FIRM believer that any Grizzly Bear that wants to have you for lunchwill.

I couldn't believe just how big they were. I should've known that they were big because as I made my way up to the door, everyone that stepped inside the trailer was saying the same exact words, "Holy Sh!t!". IFrom that day on, I've had a new found respect for the Grizzly Bear.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

i would first check the law to see if you can carry a backup. when i went on mine it was illegal to carry a gun. now i am going after a grizzly in april and my guide told me that a 44 is ok and to buy spray but im taking a SW 500 as back up
if you can carry practise before you go, dont want to miss when you need to be on the money , then they call you lunch
Old 01-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I carry a snubnose 44 mag. If you miss him with the bullet, you can burn his wiskers with muzzle flash
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

If your not a proficient handgun shooter and needed to go immediately then I would definately go for pepper spray. However, if you have time to practice and can reload your own or afford to spend a little coin then I would go the SW 500. You can get a short nosed version and while out past 50 yards it probably wouldn't do ya much good. but practice and be able to place all six shots in center mass at around 20-30 yards and i would figure you would good to go.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 PM

pheeew a Grizz with a handgun --- maybe a Black bear,I've had to dump only 1 Grizz at close quartersin48 years in the bush and that was with a 45-70 Marlin G lever gun,all 4 rounds in the boiler room starting at 25yards and the thing blew past me dead on the run like a school bus.You are a brave person,practice straight fast shooting and try to factor in the panic part when something with a head the size of 16 gallon garbage can is comin at you at 20 miles an hour --- good luck
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM

I wouldn't carry the heavy 44 elk hunting ,as long as you are hunting with a buddie I would carry a tiny 22 snub nose. In a pinch you shoot your buddie in the knee and run. Who would ever know.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Side arm vs. Grizzley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.