Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunt: scope question

Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Elk hunt: scope question

My husband is going on an elk trip to Colorado in October. He will be taking a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby that he won in a drawing. First, he needs to put a scope on it. He is thinking of a variable power scope with a minimum 10X upper limit or perhaps up to 12 or 14X. What recommendations do you have for him? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk hunt: scope question

For elk, I would say 10x is the maximum upper limit for the variable power scope. For example, the Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x would be about a maximum sensible scope range for elk. A good argument could be made for going somewhat lower for elk, for example 2.5-8x would still have plenty of magnification for elk at long range but better performance for close-up shots on elk in the timber. It is worth remembering that 4x used to be thought of as the preferred all around big game fixed power magnification level.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The new Nikon Monarch lineup looks really good.

Here's a 3-12x in 42mm with side focus for $409.95 with free shipping.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-monarch-3-12x42sf-riflescopes.html

I'm really happy with my Nikon Monarch scope in 4-12x 40mm but they aren't available anymore. I like the BDC rectile as well. It is $20 more on that site.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Ill agree. The 3-9 or 3.5-10 is great for any big game hunting including elk.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't worry so much about having a maximum at the high magnification asI would having a maximum at the low magnification.

IMHO you should have a scope no higher in magnification than 3 times at the low end and if available even lower. 3 power is low enough to give you a very wide field of view for rapid target aquisition in thick cover or moving animals.

The upper end is really up to you. But remember that the higher in magnification you go the less bright the image will apear given equal quality glass and same size objective lense.

Buy Quality glass over high magnification. Just because the scope may be a 3-12X56 doesn't mean that you will be able to see well with it. The image may be distorted and blurry. It may not hold zero, it may even fog up internally.

IMHO a high quality 3-9X40 scope is all that is really needed on a big game rifle.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have 2 elk rifles----both 30/06. One has a Leupold VarX-III 2.5 x 8, the other has a Leupold VX-II 3x9. Both have served me well over the past 25 years. CB
Old 01-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have and would suggest a Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex retical I have one on my Remington 700xcr in 270wsm. Mounted it with Warne bases and rings.It has a 30mm main tube and with the 44mm objective lense it gathers alot of light and is cyrstal clear. I reallylike the Ballistic Plexit works well . I have hit 6" dia. rocks at a lasered 500yds. I took a mule deer doe with it at 298yds. When I was elk hunting I kept it on 2.5x due to the thick area we hunt in. Deer we hunt in wheat stubble and CRP grass so it is in the open and kept it on 6x until I was ready to shoot then put it on 10x. Burris has a forever warranty on this model of scope. I got it through Natchez Shooter Supplies online. The price is around $450.00.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

With over thirty years of scoped rifle hunting experience I agree with all of the above. I have eight Leupolds 2x7 and 3x9 and have not found a need for any higher powered scope.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ziess Conquest 3.5-10x44. Good luck
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Spike

Elk hunting in CO is diverse. Do go with a varible. Do expect the potential of a long shot that he'll need to decide if he's qualified based on practice to take. The 300 Weatherby can reach out and touch something if he has put in the practice. Elk are big, chest cavity is about 30 inches fron top to bottom and the front to back lung/chest zone is about 30 inches. You can see this well with a lower power scope. If you can afford it get a larger objective lense for light early and late which is most likely the time he'll see something. Varible Powerwith a low end of 3 to 4 and a top end of 9 to 14. Presently I use a 4.5 to 16 for the open country I hunt. Some places you wont need this high of a magnification. I was happy with a 2x7 almost 3 decades ago in a different era hunting in country that a 250 yard shot was considered long. Back then some of my hunting party was still hunting with open sights. In some places here in CO 400 yards is more common than 150 yards.

Quick Reply: Elk hunt: scope question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.