Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Wolf Control ? Preditor control ? >

Wolf Control ? Preditor control ?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wolf Control ? Preditor control ?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Wolf Control ? Preditor control ?

Wouldn't mind something like that here in the north. We've got a pack picking off all the dogs in my town.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 PM

The list is real long of things I would shoot before a wolf. . I guess that's the city in me coming out. . . . . could say more but this is a pretty charged topic for all of us. Seems not to many fall in the middle.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, wolves certainly do draw attention, especially here in Wyoming. And I have to separate the interests of ranchers with the interests of the outfitters when it comes to their opinions regarding wolves. There's no reason we should have so many wolves (mountain lions, etc.) that they're subsisting at the rancher's expense. Livestock are an opportune treat, and so should control be opportune.

Guides and outfitters, on the other hand, rely more on us to pay them. And we pay them for big bony projections on deer and elk skulls. I'm not sure I'd share the same concern they have with wolves (lions, etc.) and predation on the public animals they rely on to make money. IMO - they don't have a dog in the hunt. If wolves are living off of 7x7 elk, so be it. If they're living off of privately-ownedHerefords and Hamps on privately-owned range, not good.

Realistically though, with one side wanting wide-scale reintroduction, and the other wanting total elimination, I doubt our system of government will ever permit listing wolves as "varmints" - to be shot like coyotes. Much as I'd like mountain lions to be listed that way, I don't see that happening either. However, I do think more realistic hunting quotas must be established (ask folks who live in the Black Hills of SD about lions in their backyards - some like the "cute kitties", while others worry about their toddler becoming a meal for one). Viable and sustainablepopulation? Yes. Unlimited range? No (unless NYC's Central Park is included).

And a sidebar: Wolves have more impact than the enviros would like to think. Not long after the reintro to Yellowstone, I did a project survey that involved one of their biologists. I asked him about the impact to the park so far (myself thinking primarily about the enormous populations of bison and elk there, heretofore unchecked and tearing up the place). He told me the impact so far hadn't been on the elk and bison, but what he termed the secondary predators (coyotes, lions, fox, skunk, etc.). The wolves arrived and simply went about eliminating them. Competition. While living in Alaska, I was privileged to watch (from the road, no less) a pack of wolves in Denali Park split a sow grizzly and one cub from the other two cubs (I don't think triplets are common) and systematically keep the sow and one cub "busy" on one part of the hill while the remainder of the pack dined on the other two cubs lower on the hill. I was in a NPS bus along with a bunch of tourists, many who clamored for "someone kill those awful wolves". Nature at its wildest. Wolves are fascinating predators.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 AM

I buy a tag every time I can .I would love to have one in my game room . What do you like best rug or body mount?

[/align]
Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Wow.. I don't know if I'd go for a wolf or not. I guess it would be like goin after a huge coyote. All the environmentalists would hate to see us kill their wolves. Personally, whether or not I'd go for one would depend on how good a shot I could get
Old 01-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

No One...................a wolf is very difficult to target.
I have killed a dozen or so and a few of them qualify as the most difficult big game animal I have ever hunted. Most wolves are killed on big frozen lakes with skidoos..........something probably illegal in most jurisdictions.
I have had them come to a preditor call and once stalked one while caribou hunting. I could have killed 2 this fall while elk hunting but chose to admire them instead. The local outfitter shot and left one of these animals later the same day.
With a bow few animals would be a bigger challenge.
Good Luck

ORIGINAL: teejarrardjr

who can offer a wolf hunt for a Bowhunter. With very good success rate.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally, I think that I would STILL be putting the mouth on a " local outfitter that shot and left one of these animals the same day"!!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

crokit - I'd have to agree with you. "Shoot-Shovel-Shut up" is still poaching.