Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

perfect caliber for wife?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:08 PM

Default perfect caliber for wife?

hey guys im hoping for some input on the right caliber for my wife, she doesnt mind some kick, and i want her to be able to come mooseand elk hunting withme up here in Saskatchewan. Something flat andhardhitting, but not a whole lot of kick(shes scared of my .300winmag) I was thinking of maybea short mag, but whats the recoil difference???? Any input would be appreciated, thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Default RE: perfect caliber for wife?

Check out the posts on the Poll: Elk Cartridge preferences there is a lot of info their.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Nothing wrong with a 30-06 shooting 180 grain slugs. She isn't going to be able to take a 300+ yd shot, but then why would anybody IMHO? My stainless Ruger .06 with synthetic stock is a great lightweight gun with proven elk knock down power... shots at Moose are going to be close (at least that's what I've heard from people who've been lucky enough to draw a tag here in the states) so the .06 shouldn't have any problem taking them down.. and you can get ammo just aboutANYWHERE... try that with those new short mag calibers.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

I have never used them but you could check out the managed recoil shells that Remington and Federal has put out. Search the net and you can find what calibers they offer and some ballistic information. They are suppose to have good knockdown at closer distances without the recoil.

ScoutMan
Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree with the 30-06 & 180gr bullet in a Barnes TripleShock or Nosler Accubond. Put a good recoil pad on your rifle and she will do just fine and be able to take Elk, Moose or Bear.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Add a good muzzle-brake on there and you would have a very sweet shooting gun
Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

If she is careful on the shots the .308 or 7mm-08 may work. But if she doesn't mind the 30-06 recoil get it.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM

My 1st. thought was I would reccommend buck shot I wouldn't want to miss her on the 1st. shot ,she would be on me like a grizz.

[/align]
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I bought my wife a Remington 700 ADL in .308 a few years ago and she loves it. The ADL stock is slightly smaller and seems to fit her build better than most rifles and the .308 packs plentyof punch for anything this side of the largest bears. Recoil is manageable, and ammo can be found quite cheaply so she can get plenty of range time in without putting me in the poor house. I'd avoid getting anything too big and then putting a muzzle brake on it. Those things are so loud that they can make people even more jumpy than stout recoil and I personally hate sitting next to someone that's shooting one. Shot placement is more crucial than throwing a giant hunk of lead so don't get too wrapped up in the whole ultra super duper mag craze. Comfort is key and if you get a rifle that kicks too hard or is too loud it most likely spend its life in the gunsafe and won't see field time. It's best not to try and overdue it.

AK Jeff
Old 12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

7mm08 would be my vote, depending on the lady may go slightly larger cal.I would also gowith out a muzzle break,for thenoise, Im not afan of them. Place a limb saver or simular pad, good to go.

Quick Reply: perfect caliber for wife?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.