HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   A gun for bear hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/223526-gun-bear-hunting.html)

Gunmanfinland 12-20-2007 01:22 PM

A gun for bear hunting

To this day, I have mostly used my dad's old bolt action Mosin Nagant from the 2nd WW but its not reliable nor efficient, and it jams a lot! I'd need a replacement, but Finland's gun policy is strict. Which is the most efficient gun I can get? Keep in mind that they don't sell them at every shop so I should get a good one and keep it for a long time.

Which caliber is good for shooting bears?

SILVERTIP-CO 12-20-2007 01:26 PM

RE: A gun for bear hunting

I'd think any good Suomi would have a Sako by now. May I recommend 270 or 30-06 for all around the world use?

Good luck and Merrty Christmas.

caribou_sniper 12-20-2007 05:18 PM

I agree with SILVERTIP; I have been a longtime fan of Sako's. I had a Hunter in 30-06; it was one of the sweetest shooting Sako's I've owned. The '06 is plenty for most everything. The Tikka's aren't a bad choice either.

moto420 12-20-2007 08:56 PM

i just bought the Tikka T3 lite 300 short mag and cant wait for it to come in........(hate being left handed, cuts my options in half for what i can get) but i am super stoked about the tikka. smoothest action for a gun under a grand that i have ever felt.

Carpmaster 12-20-2007 09:08 PM

A BLR in 358 rates pretty high in my book, maybe a Marlin 1895G in 45-70...

SILVERTIP-CO 12-21-2007 08:03 AM

Say didn't famous Finnish sniper Simo Hayha use a Moisin Nagant rifle??? 7.62x54 is a great calibre for bear if the rifle doesnt jam.

racowboy 12-21-2007 09:17 AM

Don't you guys have bigger bears that resemble our Grizzly's? What calibers do you have available? It's a good idea to hit dangerous game hard and try to break them down. Also, don't you hunt a lot of moose over there? Is any of your hunting long range? Do you plan to reload? If you do your own reloading, go great big and load light when needed. I have a buddy that hunts in your area and likes his .375.

James B 12-21-2007 09:00 PM

My favorite gun for bears is the Marlin 45-70.

Gunmanfinland 12-25-2007 04:24 AM

I usually hunt dangerous, aggressive russian big big bears. I might still use my 'Nagant and see if my skills would improve!

Pioneer2 12-25-2007 03:57 PM

Simo Hayha use a model 28 Mosin Nagant with open sights and killed [numbers vary] 500 + Soviets in the 105 War.Roughly 5 a day every day.The Reds used to call the Finish snipers White Death because of their white cammo and deadly accuracy.He killed one Soviet sniper at 600 meters!A Nagant that jams is about as common as a fish that can't swim?A trip to the local gunsmith may be in order...............Harold