Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Affordable Moose Hunt

Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Affordable Moose Hunt

I would love to do a moose hunt but my budget doesn't scream out for exotic hunts. What would I expect to pay for a moose hunt with reasonable chance of success. I know a do it yourself would be cheap and the top notch outfitter would be expensive but, is there anything that's, say, under or around $2000 that would be decent? Anything I could drive to from eastern PA?

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Affordable Moose Hunt

Your closest bet would be Maine. I'm not sure exactly how their drawing works, but it seems like with some patience you can get drawn after a few years. Not sure you are going to make it for $2k though, with license, lodging, etc. you might be able to do it for double that though.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 PM

I would just go out to some moose country and pitch a tent and hunt yourself for a week or so when they are in the rut.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you could do it up here in Maine alright but, not sure if you could if hiring a guide though. Most locals will pitch in and help you find one if you have trouble getting one though. Just offer them a few stakes and they will be more than happy to help you out. Another thought could be New Hampshire as they have a moose drawing also..Good Luck to you.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck drawing a tag in Maine.. I applied for 20 years and finally gave up...However, you can't draw UNLESS you apply, but unless you are very lucky, don't hold your hand over your a** until you draw a tag..

New Brunswick has much better odds for non-residents...Last I knew the odds of drawing were around 1 in 12 for non-residents, as opposed to MUCH steeper odds in Maine... If you drew you could probably find a good hunt in your price range... I drew there in 04 and paid $1500, which included lodging and meals, but did not include travel expenses and license..

Quebec has over the counter tags, but it takes two people to draw one tag, and odds of success aren't real high in many places...

It I really wanted tokill a moose, I'dstart applyingin Maine, New Brunswick,New Hampshire, and Vermont and hope to get lucky, and while waiting, start saving my $$$$ for hunt in Newfoundland...Tags are over the counter and many outfitters have nearly 100% success rates on moose...Last I checked you could still get a hunt for between 3K and 4K...Check out some outfitters up there...You may get a deal...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info. My dad and I both applied for Maine tags for about 10 years. Zippo. Are we still in the mix for preference points if we haven't applied in a few years?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure, but I think you lose your preference points if you don't apply for a couple of years...Phil may be able to answer that question, or you could check on the Maine Dept of Game & Fisheries website for some info..
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Spike

You can get all of the info that you need for Maine at this site: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/licenses_permits/lotteries/moose/index.htm#permitdrawing

Your preference points do not continue if you skip a year so you would be starting from scratch. Non-residents are allowed to buy multiples of10 chances for 55 dollars. You can purchase as many as you want.

I am a resident and I have been trying for 20+ years. One of these years I will get a permit.

keep trying and you will eventually get drawn.

I do guide moose hunters and based on our prices you will probably be looking at 2500 to 3000 dollars for a moose hunt in Maine if you use a guide. A non-resident permit cost 477 dollars if drawn.

Good luck. It is worth it.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am a resident and I have been trying for 20+ years. One of these years I will get a permit.

keep trying and you will eventually get drawn.
The same thing here, it's like finding a needle in a haystack!! But I keep trying and hoping. I have seen some kids get lucky an drawn on the first application tho. I do not guide but could show you some moose up here easily enough though.. Good Luck!!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

$477 for a tag? Better discuss with wife

Quick Reply: Affordable Moose Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.