Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ? for you guys that have been to alaska >

? for you guys that have been to alaska

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? for you guys that have been to alaska

Old 12-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ? for you guys that have been to alaska

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

ORIGINAL: meatplow

a pistol is not effective backup, you would be better off with pepper spray than a pistol.
Most of the time a handguns sole purpose is to be a backup. I'd rather be the guy spraying some 240gr hardcasts at a bear then the guy spraying some cayenne pepper in its face.
The effectiveness of that "spraying" is what is really important. One of the primary attributes of bear spray is that it can be fired quite accurately even from the hip. Handguns require a lot of practice in order to develop the necessary profficiency for bear defense. One of the main reasons why I rarely carry a handgun for bear defense isn't because of the shortcomings of the handgun, but rather due to my lack of ability to shoot them accurately. Long guns are a different story. If you've ever been charged by a bear (and I have) you know that they move incredibly fast and there can be a tremendous amount of vertical and horizontal movement in their head, neck, and chest area. A bear wounded by an ill-placed shot can often be more dangerous than one that hasn't been shot, or one that has had a dose of capcasin in the kisser. That said, spray is by no means foolproof, but it certainly isn't a bad idea either. It's relatively cheap (about the price of a box of premium ammo), light weight, easy to carry, and quick to fire.

AK Jeff
Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mac87-
I was also stationed in Alaska. I am in the Coast Guard though. Anyway, I agree 100% with AK Jeff.. The bears are not what all the books make them out to be. I went to Alaska to hunt and fish. I spent a ton of time in the woods and I never had a situation where I feared my life. I carried a 357 mag. when I was alone. That was it. I figured 5 bullets for the bear, and 1 for me! just kidding. A 45 Acp would do the job if you needed it. Just make sure you get a heavy bullet. No hollow points! You want hard Ball style ammo. You know, the stuff like you shoot at the range for qualifications. My advice is to use the buddy program. Mighty Alaska has many more terrors then it's Bears!
By the way I loved Alaska! I am going back! Hopefully next tour. Good Luck
Old 01-02-2008, 05:23 PM
rrb

Has anyone looked at the ballitics on the .500 or .460 s&w magnums. If neather one of these dont slow em down so that you can run like hell, well just lie down and don't die tired.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

While a rifle or shotgun would be better the 44 Mag with 300-325 grain Hard cast bullets is a good reseve gun when you can't pack a long gun.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

44 mag. No exceptions.

Do you know the 500 Smith causes detached retina in the eye when you shoot it???

Get the 44 mag.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it were me I would carry the short barreled 460 S&W. you can practice using 45 colt, 454 casull or the 460 ammo. This would be a back up piece. My primary would be a short barreled 870 12 ga loaded with slugs and 00 buck. Face it, if a bear comes at you from 30 yds that you never saw, neither gun will come to use fast enough.