HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   big horn expidition (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/222013-big-horn-expidition.html)

linkppn 12-10-2007 07:30 PM

big horn expidition

Hey, whats up guys?

I have been hunting deer and birds for about a year, and my dad and i are wanting to go on a big-horn hunt. I was wondering:

Where to start?
what state?
what physical requirements?
what kind of gun?
Will a mag kick to much for me? (im 13)

thanks guys!

eatsleephunt 12-10-2007 08:19 PM

RE: big horn expidition

Sheep hunting is arduous young man, and drawing a tag in a Western state for Big horn is tough to say the least. If you just want to go though, you can get an unlimited tag in Montana. Also, you could simply purchase a hunt. This might cost roughly 30,000 per hunter, and I'm not kidding.

Realistically for the common guy, you have to put in for bonus points in several states for many years before you draw a tag.

As far a caliber suggestions, anything from a .270 on up would be okay, if you use 150's in the .270.

Good luck.

Folically Challenged 12-10-2007 08:21 PM

I'd say Wyoming or Montana if you're stateside, or Alberta if you want to go Up Nort'.

I hope you're not afraid of heights! And I hope you're both in great shape. You've got to climb a lot to even find the sheep, & then you've got to try to set up a stalk that make take all day... or even two!

There's definitely no need for a magnum caliber. Any reasonably flat-shooting cartridgefrom a .243 up through a .30-06 is fine, & even the .30-06 would be more than you'd really need. A lightweight rifle would certainly be your friend, but if you already own something else in an appropriate caliber, then use what you've got.

Here are a couple o' thoughts on the subject:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/mountain_rifles.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles_game.htm

Best o' luck to you! It's a wonderful testament to your family that you guys would plan this.

FC

beech18 12-10-2007 08:50 PM

Speaking of sheep. Just wondering. How many points do you guys have out there? Im just waiting my turn in all the states I can just like alot of people. 10-12 years worth ofpoints plus or minus depending on the stateand sitting on the ground floorin Montana since they placed the new boints system in 5-6 years ago. Crossing my fingers again for 2008

Colorado Bob 12-10-2007 09:35 PM

Drawing a NR bighorn tag is dang near impossible. WY, it's $100 for a perference point & it takes 10 points just to get in the draw. Colorado is 3 years to get in the draw & then there are 100's of other hunters with weighed points that are ahead of you. NM is lottery. AZ & NV are desert bighorn----even tuffer to draw----that's what most sheep hunters need for their slam. UT, OR, ID---I don't know.

If your really interest in sheep---I suggest an auodad hunt in west TX. It a hunt, not a shoot---I'm thinking it's @$3500. CB

AaronA 12-10-2007 10:04 PM

Or try a Dall Sheep in Alaska orthe Yukon. Anywhere from about $8,000 - $16,500 depending on where you want to go. You must be in great shape. I get get you intouch with a guy in the Yukon that I have hunted with. He has also hunted Bob Robb (His hunt just aired on Verses) and Phil Phillips just filmed his hunt with him this last fall. Let me know, just e-mail me.

WYObowfisher 12-11-2007 12:47 AM

Im with these guys if your wanting to get a tag in the lower 48 be prepared for a LONG wait or paying ALOT of moneyyou would be better of going north. Im a wyoming resident and have been putting in for a bunch of years and am yet to draw. From what i have heard they are the hunt of a lifetime my grandpa killed his Bighorn thirty years ago and finallyfinshed up his slam with his Desert this spring.

beech18 12-11-2007 02:37 PM

I was just curious whos got what for points. I know of guys who have near 20 points in certain states. Im only 27 and willing to waitalot moreyears out to keep applying and buying bonus points, plus someone draws the random draws......

Colorado Bob 12-11-2007 07:34 PM

beech---I've drawn 2 sheep tags here in Colorado. My 1st was in 1993, I didn't get a ram that year. I drew a tag in 1998---I killed a 7/8 curl. After you killed a ram you have to wait 5 years before you can apply again. So in 04 I started to apply again. Now, I have 3 points & 1 weighed point. I have a chance now----but I've got to get a good number assigned to me by the computer.

IMO---Colorado is a good state to accumulate points----I only cost $3. Bad side is you have to send the full amount in----then after the draw & several months you get it all back minus $3. I'm not sure if they take credit cards on sheep or mtn goats. CB

Colorado Bob 12-11-2007 07:39 PM

No random draw in Colorado. It takes 3 points to get in the draw. Then the computer assigns you a number, your weighed points then divided that----example if you have 1 weighed point, you divide your computer number by 2----2 weighed points divide by 3.

Lowest number gets the tag. So, you could draw with 3 points & NO weighed points if you get a REAL REAL low number.

Hope I explained it well enough. CB