Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Wanting to hunt Elk

Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wanting to hunt Elk

Johnny2:

I am not saying this out of disrespect, but have you looked into a hunter's impared hunt. You should qualify due to your heart condition, your doctor will have to varify your condition. Most states offer these hunts at the end of Sept., or the beginning Oct. Good luck with your hunt!!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 AM

Handloader,

Where do you find information on something like that?

Don't worry about the disrespect-tell it like it is..
Old 12-12-2007, 04:53 PM

You may want to consider a private land trespass fee hunt like:
http://www.RockyMountainHunting.com
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Johnny2:

Try www.wildlife.state.nm.us , or www.wildlife.state.co.us , or any other state's Game & Fish department. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Yes handloader1 has a good idea NM has some good impared hunts.I guide for Double G Outfitters here in NM, we have a ranch at about 7500 feet elevation, with no big steephills and there are water holes. We also do off ranch hunts, some units would bea little harder, butnot to bad and it would not cost asmuch as the ranch hunt.

If you want more info feel free to email or send me a PM!

A lot of the units in NM will be easyer just because of the lower elevation.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Spike

B4B,

Have you heard of outfitters claiming watering holes on public lands as described above? Assuming you are against such practices, who would you contact if you were confronted on a hunt about being on "their" pond?

H
Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM

There is an outfitter that hunts a lot of the same units that we do, and he likes to think that public land is all his. He will put a sings up on water holes that he is going to hunt, whichis against the law so all we do is call the Game & Fish and they take care of it. Really on the public land its first come first served.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If $$ is not a huge issue I have just the place for you! Monsters! However this is a 25000 acre ranch so not sure your feelings on this. I have a pile of friends that carry B&C from them.. Horse back, 4 wheeler, whatever your needs they will meet it! Write this down and pay them a visit!

www.utahelkhunt.com

Your trip of a life time! Life is too short....DO it! God Bless!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

Johnny2, I'd second what has been said by EKM, Shatodavis, and others that have more elk hunting experience than I have had. It is very hard work and not for everyone. Most of those I have went hunting with in Colorado on DIY hunts got discouraged for one reason or another and aren't doing it anymore. You have to want it.

Just as an example, last fall I went on my 2nd archery elk hunt in CO. I started shooting and hiking in May and actually wished I'd started earlier. I started on flat ground for a few weeks and then switched to hilly courses and hit it hard for about 6 of 7 days each week all summer and up until I was leaving along with drinking tons of water. It paid off as I was able to hunt hard from 9500 to 12000 feet and on the 10th day of a 13 day hunt I arrowed a bull. Not the biggest bull in the woods but the trip was already a success before I released the arrow as I'd seen elk every day, I was hunting with a group of positive, hard working hunters, and I saw alot of great scenery and animals. To me, that's what it's about. Don't get me wrong, I love elk meat but the whole experience of planning, scouring maps, hiking the hills, shooting the gun or bow, sharing it with friends, and being mentally ready for a challenge is what does it for me.

If you can swing the cost of an outfitter that would be a route to take and see how you like it. Then if that goes good and you figure you can handle the mountains etc. then you can look at other options if you decide to try it again. That being said, as Shatodavis suggested, get with the physician regardless of which way you want to go and see what he/she feels you can do and then you can go from there. I believe there are some outfitters who charge around $3500 (Ballpark) for a hunt but you probably won't take home a monster bull for that price.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Ironranger is right you can't start walking, hiking, runingsoon enough, in July I came back from 5 months at Fort Leonard Wood MO. or as some call itFort Lostin the Woods, anyway for 5 months we ran 2-4miles 3 days a weekalong with a lot ofotherPT.When I left in July I could run 2mi in 12min and 23 seconds and when I got home which is at 7700ft elevation and between the elev. and the dry air, I had a hard time getting used to it again. So one thing that I tell people comeing up here if you can,try to come a day or even 2 days early, the first few days are the hardest and I see a lot of people get into camp the night before the hunt and when they start hiking the next morningthey have a every hard time of it.

Quick Reply: Wanting to hunt Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.