Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06 >

magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Default RE: magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06

Its all about bullet choice and shot placement!!!! When it comes to bullets, you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money on a premium bullet and stay within your "comfort zone" in regards to distance, and there is very little a .270, .308, or .30-06 won't do.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 AM

People can we let this go? How many different ways can this debate go. Every stinkin time we turn around we're having this argument.

Let me try this the politically correct way:

Standard cartridges such as the 270, 308, 30-06 etc are sufficient to kill most game in North America, just ask Jack O'connor. That being said, there is no such thing as too dead.Some people feel thatadditional recoil of magnum cartridges is worththe extra Kinetic energy, speed, flatter trajectory, etc. In either case shot placement andbullet construction are of upmost importance.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Human nature says we all want to be validated......so here goes.........
Of course the .270/30-06 is enough gun for all big game and you are a good enough hunter to use it. You are not any less of a "man" for not wanting to shoot something bigger. There is no NEED for it! As long as you keep your shots to distances you are comfortable with, use good bullets, and hit where you aim, all is well. Weather conditions, animal presentation, and luck are something that all hunters face no matter the caliber of choice.
Go ....hunt .....enjoy!!!!

But please, offer me the same respect that I have afforded you? I am only in the Elk Mountains for a few days. I am not a great shot with any gun, even though I have been shooting my whole life and continue that pastime rigorously. I am able to handle recoil and shoot those guns with such just as well as any others. 12 ga with 3.5 inch shells, now those will wake you up. And yet I enjoy shooting them too.
I am spending my precious "kitchen pass" from my loving and understandable wife as well as my hard earned money on an elk hunt. I choose to take as many variables as is possible out of the equation. I practice with my .338 remington ultra mag.Mylimitations are mine. Not my choice of rifleor caliber. I willchoose not totake the shot because I am not comfortable based on me. Not because ofthe limitations of myweapon. Ido enough of that during Archery season. If that Bull walks out at 350 yards (I know because I just ranged him), and the wind is light, not much elevation change, I have a reasonable rest....I will take those variables and make my shot knowing that even at 500 yards, I have more energy in my bullet than a 30.06 does at 1/5 that distance. Doesn't mean I am belittling the 30.06, just means that I choose differently.
I know, based on tables, that it has around 47ft/lbs of recoil, which is about 3 times that of an 06. But it is okay. In choosing to do so, I am in no way suggesting that you are any less a hunter for using what you choose to hunt with. I just like having the knowledge that when given that moment of truth, I can put the crosshairs on his front shoulder, much like I would with a small whitetail, and squeeze. Break him down on the spot. Did I mention I am not one that likes to track or wants to haul out portions from a distance any further than I have to. And I am unlucky by nature, usually if I wound game, they run the opposite direction from where I will be packing them!!!

So let's just all make sure we hit where we aim....most of the time.....and then we'll all choose our weapon based on that? So that when someone asks for a comparison between a .270 and a .338, we give them that. Not just our personal preference for what we are capable of shooting. Everyone has limitations.

Now that being said....I also know this fact about accuracy and ability........
both take a hit the closer you get. Don't believe me, just ask a bow hunter what it was like and how steady he was the first time he got within 20 yards or less of a bull elk. I shot my first bull a couple years back and only shook a little from the cold/rain/sleet/wind. Was as natural and calm as shooting turtles on the river bank in the summer.Only got excited as I walked up on him after the shot, which blew out his left front shoulder and left a hole you could stick your arm in, though the distance was only 175 yards. But if he had turned and ran further than 20 yards, I would have been looking for him straight down a long, deep ravine. Ugly.
In total contrast,I found myself this year trying to put my first sight pin on a bull strutting in on me and my wimpy calling at 20 yards and closing! I could not have been shaking anymore if you had put me astride the north pole without a stitch of clothing and fed me a whole bowling ball and waited to watch me pass it!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 PM
rrb

some people think faster is better. thats not allways true. I have a 30-06 a 270 a 300 win mag and a 45-70. 30-06 will go 3000fps. thats plenty fast . .270 as fast and flatter at longer distances. .300 tops em both. 45/70 slow w/lots and lots of thud. All depends on what you are using them for.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a big magnum rifle you often do not even need to fire a shot. Show the Gun and cartridge to the beast and they often just lay down and die on their own. Saves powder and lead and that nasty muzzle blast. No meat damage either unless you slip with your knife.Technology is great.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Magnums are great...but so are the classics. The only big game I have hunted has been whitetails but I have taken deer with .44 magnums, .30-.30s .30-06s, 7.62X54s (my favourite) and a .280 remington. Out of all those I love hunting with my Russian Mosin Nagant. it is a 7.62X54, and it is not a big calibre. It just depends on what you want to hunt with. I am comfortable taking shots with my '06 out to 400 yards... the nagant only about 100 because of the open sights. set your limitations and stay within them. Magnums are great, but the classics still do the job.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Human nature says we all want to be validated......so here goes.........
Of course the .270/30-06 is enough gun for all big game and you are a good enough hunter to use it. You are not any less of a "man" for not wanting to shoot something bigger. There is no NEED for it! As long as you keep your shots to distances you are comfortable with, use good bullets, and hit where you aim, all is well. Weather conditions, animal presentation, and luck are something that all hunters face no matter the caliber of choice.
Go ....hunt .....enjoy!!!!

But please, offer me the same respect that I have afforded you? I am only in the Elk Mountains for a few days. I am not a great shot with any gun, even though I have been shooting my whole life and continue that pastime rigorously. I am able to handle recoil and shoot those guns with such just as well as any others. 12 ga with 3.5 inch shells, now those will wake you up. And yet I enjoy shooting them too.
I am spending my precious "kitchen pass" from my loving and understandable wife as well as my hard earned money on an elk hunt. I choose to take as many variables as is possible out of the equation. I practice with my .338 remington ultra mag.Mylimitations are mine. Not my choice of rifleor caliber. I willchoose not totake the shot because I am not comfortable based on me. Not because ofthe limitations of myweapon. Ido enough of that during Archery season. If that Bull walks out at 350 yards (I know because I just ranged him), and the wind is light, not much elevation change, I have a reasonable rest....I will take those variables and make my shot knowing that even at 500 yards, I have more energy in my bullet than a 30.06 does at 1/5 that distance. Doesn't mean I am belittling the 30.06, just means that I choose differently.
I know, based on tables, that it has around 47ft/lbs of recoil, which is about 3 times that of an 06. But it is okay. In choosing to do so, I am in no way suggesting that you are any less a hunter for using what you choose to hunt with. I just like having the knowledge that when given that moment of truth, I can put the crosshairs on his front shoulder, much like I would with a small whitetail, and squeeze. Break him down on the spot. Did I mention I am not one that likes to track or wants to haul out portions from a distance any further than I have to. And I am unlucky by nature, usually if I wound game, they run the opposite direction from where I will be packing them!!!

So let's just all make sure we hit where we aim....most of the time.....and then we'll all choose our weapon based on that? So that when someone asks for a comparison between a .270 and a .338, we give them that. Not just our personal preference for what we are capable of shooting. Everyone has limitations.

Now that being said....I also know this fact about accuracy and ability........
both take a hit the closer you get. Don't believe me, just ask a bow hunter what it was like and how steady he was the first time he got within 20 yards or less of a bull elk. I shot my first bull a couple years back and only shook a little from the cold/rain/sleet/wind. Was as natural and calm as shooting turtles on the river bank in the summer.Only got excited as I walked up on him after the shot, which blew out his left front shoulder and left a hole you could stick your arm in, though the distance was only 175 yards. But if he had turned and ran further than 20 yards, I would have been looking for him straight down a long, deep ravine. Ugly.
In total contrast,I found myself this year trying to put my first sight pin on a bull strutting in on me and my wimpy calling at 20 yards and closing! I could not have been shaking anymore if you had put me astride the north pole without a stitch of clothing and fed me a whole bowling ball and waited to watch me pass it!!!!

I liked your answer.

The only part I would put into it is that I like it when I shoot it and it goes right down.

Where I hunt on public land, if it runs to the next hunter and he shoots - it is his deer / elk / bear.

If you shoot them with a Magnum - chances are they drop right where you shot them.

I don't aim for a particular part of a deer when it is running, I just aim for the front half of the deer and hope that I hit where I aimed.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

When you pay 1000 dollars for a non resident outfitter sponsered elk tag in montana, and only have 7 days to get the job done, you need a gun for the less than perfect shot. Elk don't always present you with a standing broadside shot. The only elk you might see could quarter away from you at 300yds. Thats were the big magnums can save your hunt. I use a magneported .338 winchester in a sako 75 and taken three 5x5 bulls from 75 out to 550 each only needing 1 bullet to stop them.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

BULLET CONSTRUCTION

You used two bullets of similar construction and asked them to do two very different tasks.They were designed toexpand, penetrate and retain weightvery well at thelower velocities that the 308 produces (150 at 2800 fps).

When you load a plane Jane bullet into a magnum, 150 grain power point at 3200 fps, and fire it at magnum velocities then expect that bullet to come apart and not penetrateas well as it would have at a lower velocity.

Had that same bullet (150 power point)been fired out of a 7mm-08 at about 2700fpsunder the same conditions thenI would fullyexpect that bullet toperform very much like the SST did and stay together and penetrate deeper than it did out of the 7mmWSM.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use x bullet in a .308 and x bullet in a .300 mag and the .308 will out penetrate the .300mag because x bullet wasnt designed for 3000+ velocities and just explodes. So you put Y bullet into the .300 mag and it now expands and penetrates like x bullet in the .308, so your now right back to where we started.

Quick Reply: magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.