Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Guide/ Out fitter

Old 11-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Guide/ Out fitter

Here is some good information to be made aware of when selecting a guide. Don't use Back-country Outfitters also known as BC Guide Outfitters, you'll regret it! They are recommended by this site and strongly urge some one to remove their advertisement.[:@] Don't believe their web site!!

This happend to us this fall and reccomended Bad - Clearly explained as their responsibility.
They state in the advertisement that they have access to 900 square miles of exclusive hunting territory all of which was on public land being torn apart by loggers on the weekdays on weekends driven hard by local hunters looking for moose. This hunt we went on was a so called Trophy Hunt at the prime of the rut which cost 5k not including air fair, tips or tags and government fee's. This hunt was
Primarily a road hunt, depending on ones pure luck to run into them.
Outfitter not willing to help me fill other tags or like my Elk tag.
Clients skinning out their own capes (thank you Jim Lett Jr for helping me)
No organized way to ship meat or capes (still do not have mine, hearing 3 weeks before they get to my Taxidermist) .
No gas for main hunting strategy, which had guides upset and we ran out of gas on the 4th day of the hunt! misssed dinner that night.
No Atv's or horses like they talked. The one raft we had to assemble which we used only one day on a lake.
Outfitter talking badly about his clients(us) to his guides right in front of us
Focused on his family who just came up during our week vs clients
8 clients in camp and 4 more in spike vs 6 max previously stated . The one guide had never stepped foot on this country so he had no clue where the animals were!
Saying to shoot any bull vs the ~50" bulls they tout….real avg I later found out was 34 inches or so, nothing is guaranteed, but expectations are everything.
As with all hunts, meeting interesting people and being in outdoors environment can make a good hunt great.
As of today Nov. 29 we have yet to get our Moose meat back from Canada!!
When Hunting Canada, you need to ask "how are we hunting" Blind or driving for 8 days, etc... Cause if you don't ask they won't tell... "Surprise"!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Guide/ Out fitter

Seems like there's more and more of these kind of experiences posted every week. It must be just the outfitting guiding industry way.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Spike

Let me add my 2 cents, Just got back from Alberta for a trophy moose hunt much the same, guide/owner had no clue where moose were, did not know the area and the one guide that supposedly did some scouting was unavailable???

You know its going south when the guide/owner is so broke that you have to use your credit card for lodging and his is being rejected at every time he tries to use it.

I could go on and on but just trying to forget about the whole experience and the big rip-off. BTW the name the Alberta outfitters---Mountain Country Outfitters out of Edmonton, Alberta. Be warned they will take your money and promise you the world. Also note this was not my first outfitter, I have had plenty and know what to ask but you never know till you get there.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Always be suspicious of any western Canadian outfitter talking about exclusive hunting territory. Most of BC is public land, one reason I love it so much. Exclusive means the right to guide only, not restrict access to residents.
Personaly I always wonder why a fellow hunter would want to exclude me from their hunting expierience. Public land is my land and I see you as a guest.
All that said, I hate when a guest has a bad expierience.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear 'bout your bad experience.

To show the other side, though, I've been out twice with Packhorse Creek Outfitters from Fernie, BC, & they've been just tremendous. The owner is a biologist by training, has been in his territory since '82, and personally guides clients along with his long-time guides. He doesn't just have a knowledge of the animals & his territory - he has an obvious love for them both. Top-notch accomodations & customer service. I'm heading back for moose next Fall.

FC
Old 12-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Hey Gowkout and anyone else, I just happened to find a contact for the Canada Outfitters Assos. that handle all complaints and would strongly recommend putting your concerns together so we can get these low life's out of business once and for all!

From: Susan Eastham <[email protected]>[/align] > Good morning, Mr. Cord, if you wish to file a formal complaint against[/align] > BackCountry, I can send you the complaints policy/procedure either by fax or[/align] > by regular mail on Monday.The Guide Outfitters Association of British[/align] > Columbia does have an Ethics and Standards Committee that reviews all[/align] > complaints against our members.[/align] >[/align] > Please let me know how you'd like to handle this.[/align] > Susan Eastham[/align] >[/align] > Executive Assistant/Office Manager[/align] >[/align] > Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia[/align] >[/align] > PO Box 94675[/align] >[/align] > Richmond, BC V6Y 4A4[/align] >[/align] > Phone:604-278-2688Fax:604-278-3440[/align] >[/align] > Toll Free:1-877-818-2688[/align] >[/align] > "Wildlife Stewardship is Our Priority"[/align]
Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Spike

Elk pro, now thats what I am talking about. Yes I will file a complaint!! Only thing my hunt was in Alberta,I will call anyway and talk to them.Will keepyouposted. Did not mean to hijack the original thread, thanks.