HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk in Texas? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/209347-elk-texas.html)

makinbacon06 09-29-2007 12:58 AM

Elk in Texas?

Does anybody know of a place in Texas to hunt Elk? I know if there is its out west but where at out there?

younggun308 09-29-2007 08:35 AM

RE: Elk in Texas?

I'm sure that with the enourmous quantity of high-fence operations in Texas that host non-native wildlife, you'd just have to do some Google research, or look in some classifeds, but you can be assured that it'll cost a pretty penny, and that the majority of hunters on here will find it unethical, myself included,for me just because it's a "fake" experiance, 'cause you're hunting Rocky Mountain Elk, but you're not hunting them in the Rocky Mountains, where they belong, you're hunting them in the Texas desert.

makinbacon06 09-29-2007 07:29 PM

In that case I understand!!! I''ll just wait to go out to AZ when i visit my Grandpa, he has them Trophy Elk.

game4lunch 09-29-2007 09:33 PM

Yeah . . . go shoot them. I hope you get a license and hunt in season? (lol)

Actually, thanks to the ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK Foundation, there are now Rocky Mountain Elk in far away places like Pennsylvania. One of the reasons I don't belong to the RMEF!

I have enough trouble finding wapiti without those RMEF bastards shipping them out of here!!

txhunter58 09-30-2007 07:25 AM

As stated, the vast majority of elk in Texas are in high fencing operations and would not really be conisdered free chase or wild. However, there are some free ranging wildelk in west Texas in the mountains. In fact, I am involved in a project right now to net and collarssome elk in the mountains of west Texas tofind out more about their movements. After someunsuccessful attempts at using dart guns, we had to resort to nets from hellicopters.Believe me, these are not tame animals and they run when they see a vehicle or person on foot.However, they are not considered a "game animal" anywhere in Texas. Don't know of anyone who is allowing elk huntson these free ranging elk.

From Ft. Worth, New Mexico and Colorado iaren't much farther than west Texas!

As far as hunting elk in the Desert, Plenty of elk are taken in high desert areas of the western states, esp AZ comes to mind.

And I don't think that RMEF is helping to introduce elk anywhere that they did not inhabit originally. Remember that they were essentially a plains animal when we came to this country.

That said, I personally would not enjoy hunting them anywhere but in the Aspen/evergreen forests in the Rockies! I hunt enough hills with rocks, oak trees and cedar in Texas!

tangozulu 09-30-2007 10:31 AM

I suppose if you believe there are mountains in texas you can believe there are wild elk theretoo.
lol
[&:]