Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

wyoming antelope, unit 23

Old 09-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Spike

Default wyoming antelope, unit 23

My nephew andI are headed up to Wyoming in Oct on our first antelope hunt. We will be hunting in unit 23 near Gillette. What should we expect? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Default RE: wyoming antelope, unit 23

It's gonna be windy. It could be snowy, or 70 degrees. Bring clothing for both.
You need to zero at 200 yards and practice shots out to 300+. It's not at all unusual to have to take much longer shots than you're used to.
Shoot paper after you get there. Your shots will be off due to elevation and atmospheric changes.
Bring a good 400+ yard range finder. Know your balistics.
Do you know where you're hunting? (Private? State? BLM?, etc) Go to: http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/access/plpw/huntingwalk/campbell/campbell2.asp
Shows an area open to antelope called a Walk-In area. It is private land that is open to public. It means WALK-IN only.
Get game skinned, washed, and cooled down A.S.A.P. after harvesting.
What guns are you using?
If you want a "trophy", pick a lope with horns at least twice as long as the ears not including the curl. And go for mass by looking for large cutters (prongs). The width on Antelope does not score like deer, elk, etc.
Be patient. They are everywhere.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Spike

We will be hunting walk in area 7 in unit 23 as well as the BLM land. We will have 3 full days of hunting.I have all the maps for the area we will be hunting. My nephew is shhooting a 270. LOL i am taking my old faithful 30-378 weatherby. I have spent to much time at the range and hunting with this caliber to not take it. Hell its really all i have used for everything for years. I am really familiar with my rifles ballistics.I hope you are right and we see a ton of goats to be patient. Thanks for the post
Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Then let me emphasize sighting in once you get to Wyoming. Your shots can easily be off, even "knowing your guns balistics". Horor story: I once guded a fellow from Penn that was insulted when I suggested shooting some paper the first day. "I've been shooting this gun for months on my property and I load my own and know this gun and all it will do!"
He missed several times at VERY decent lopes before taking my advice.

One more thing . . . don't shoot one that is running, they will taste bad.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Spike

This is probably a dumb question but should we just find a piece of BLM land to sight in the rifles? Where would be the best place to go?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Spike

Smile unit 23 antelope, region C deer

Any recent reports for this area? I'm headed to the same spot in about two weeks! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Spike

Me to ,23 private land $300 for the season.How about a weather report ,will be leaving Pa. next wed.
Where everyone staying . We got a room in edgerton.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Spike

I will be leaving on the 29th for Unit 7 & 27 just east of 23. I have been visiting iwth some of the ranchers in the area, trying to find camping spots. The report I got from the NW area of Unit 7 is great for antelope this year but very poor for deer. Here is a good site for locating the public hunting areas: http://sunlight.wygisc.uwyo.edu/hunt...electedIndex=1
Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Spike

We're hunting the second week of the season and staying in Gillette, might camp a few nights on BLM. We also have Region C deer tags. Good luck to yall, hope to see some positive reports soon!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Spike

Should be a good year. I live in Gillette. I've seen bigger antelope bucks this year than I ever have in this area. Looks like the weather will be right around 70 for the first couple days of the season.

Quick Reply: wyoming antelope, unit 23

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.