Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muley Hunting Question

Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Muley Hunting Question

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how often Muleys go to water. I've read anywhere from one day to five days, so any advice would be helpful.

I've seen some Muley tracks at a watering holeon my hunting spot,but I've never seen them, and the tracks always seem to be a few days old. My best guess is that they're watering somewhere else as well.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Muley Hunting Question

Glassing is a more effective technique to locating and patterning muley bucks than sitting over a water hole.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree. In some areas anyway White tail hunting by water holes is quite productive. Like you, I seldom if ever see Mule deer around waterholes. I ques I never even thought about it before. Maybe they carry canteens.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot depends on the weather and their activity. Mulies are not habitual and just because they watered today in a spot, doesn't mean they will be back in the A.M. Most often though, mulies will share the same travel routes, I would look for travel routes and concentrate your efforts there through glassing. It could cut out alot of country that you need to cover and or glass.

Water holes could be somewhat productive as I have watched alot of deer water while waiting for antelope. I still wouldn't count it out, good luck!!!!