HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Trail camera for elk... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/204718-trail-camera-elk.html)

AppleOnMyHead 08-29-2007 08:47 AM

Trail camera for elk...

Has anyone tried to use a trail camera for getting pictures of elk?

Does the flash scare them?

I'm taking mine on my upcoming trip, and if nothing else I'm going to put it up over the remains if we kill one and try to get a picture of a bear or mountain lion eating the remains.

lethalconnection 08-29-2007 08:50 AM

RE: Trail camera for elk...

I personally dont have a trail cam yet but i know some guys that use them for elk and no the cams dont spook them.

AppleOnMyHead 08-29-2007 08:55 AM

Sweet. I only plan on using it if I can find two different herds, because I obviously can't be in two places at once.

lethalconnection 08-29-2007 08:57 AM

Yah good idea, i like your idea of watching the remain though, those could make for some neat pics.

AppleOnMyHead 08-29-2007 09:05 AM

There is a contest at a local sporting goods shop for the best trail camera picture and I have to think if I get a mountain lion eating some elk remains, I have a good shot at winning considering there are not any mountain lions anywhere close to where I live. There are some bears in my area, but not too many and I think getting a bear eating remains would give me a good chance as well. The winner gets a new Cuddeback camera that is worth $450 I think.

If I was farther north and hunting in grizzly country.....wow.....that could really be potential for great pictures.

RackLuster 08-29-2007 02:37 PM

the thing i've heard about elk is for some reason they constantly lick the cameras. if memory serves me right there's a guy named dallanc on www.chasingame.com that has this happen to him constantly. maybe if you put something foul tasting on the camera like tabasco sauce (works with thumb sucking kids) :eek:

Marko B 08-30-2007 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: RackLuster

the thing i've heard about elk is for some reason they constantly lick the cameras. if memory serves me right there's a guy named dallanc on www.chasingame.com that has this happen to him constantly. maybe if you put something foul tasting on the camera like tabasco sauce (works with thumb sucking kids) :eek:
I just grew up loving Tabasco...

MTdrahthaar 08-31-2007 07:23 AM

I have tons of pics of elk getting flashed. Matter of fact, I think they like it. And if you put something tasty on your cam, bears will most definitely create more problems than elk.