Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Emergency bear baIting help needed (updated w/ pics) >

Emergency bear baIting help needed (updated w/ pics)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Emergency bear baIting help needed (updated w/ pics)

Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Emergency bear baIting help needed (updated w/ pics)

Ichecked my bait for the first time today and nothing! Season starts on Saturday. I know there are bears in the area, but I don't have any pictures of them since 7/14. I believe there are around 7 bears (3 of them are cubs though) around. I need to draw them back and quickly! I have a friend coming up to hunt for the weekend. Unless I can bring them in quickly it looks like we'll be doing a lot of four wheeling.

What is the best, bring them in every time, make them fight over it bait out there?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Emergency bear bating help needed

Emergency bear bating help needed
You got some serious 'nads taking on bears with a bat.... I'm more a rifle man myself.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

OOPS
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

they've switched foraging to something more dispersed. Use the stinkiest thing you can legally use for bait and back it up with a whole bunch of bread that the bread store is gonna throw away.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 AM

We did a couple of different things that might help you...

We raked the ground down pretty well near the bait when we first established the site and poured quite a bit of grease into the dirt. The theory was that all the bears that left the site would leave a scent trail of grease.

We also did a bacon grease burn with two coffee cans and a can of sterno when we established the site.

The last thing is we always put some honey out and when we got ready to hunt we did a honey burn with the same two coffee cans and sterno.

We always pulled multiple bears in but I don't know if these were the reasons or we were just lucky..

Good luck!
UB
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of people in the bowhunting thread talk about using vanilla to get bears. We always tried to make our bear bait area (when we could bait) stink as much as we could. We used honey burns, poured honey and syrup all over the logs, trees, and branches. We would put old smelly fish, smear bacon grease over eveything, we even drug in a dead goat. It smelled but the bear were scared of it when they came in. We took a five gallon bucket of molasses, pokes a hole in the bottom and let it drop down the side of a tree. You name it and we probably tried it. You always want to keep a good supply of bakery products on the ground so they have something to eat when they do show up.

Good Luck
Reid
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I second the honey burn, I tried one last night and pulled a stubborn bear close to the bait in about 30 minutes. He has been hitting on and off since the acorns started dropping. He must of seen meand stayedout of range,but he did hit the bait again after I left.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Okay...I must confess[>:] we have done countless honey burns. We used a peanut can on top of a sturno burner. We never had a bear come in while we were burning. I don't know what it was. Maybe there wasn't any bear in the area at the time. I don't know but we continued to do them.

Good Luck
Reid
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use anise oil alot. It seems to work this time of year. We just use a couple of squirts in a film canister with cotton balls. Back it up with bait though.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Emergency bear baIting help needed

What I would do is get a burlap sack and dip it in a bucket of grease and drag in down some trails and thu the woods stop and refresh the rag every so often. Ainse oil is great , try burning molasses. go to a meat shop and get the left over fat, the best fat in the bubbly fat that is around the Kidneys. Get an onion bag and fill it with fish and hang it 6 feet in the air. You need to get the smell out.

Quick Reply: Emergency bear baIting help needed (updated w/ pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.