Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Advice on Colorado

Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Advice on Colorado

At a RMEF dinner,I purchased a 7 day unguided Mule Deer hunt in Colorado (unit 681) November 3 through 9. I spoke with the outfitter. There will be 3 other hunters on the property. The outfitter is providing topo maps andwill point us in the right direction in terms of locating game. He said I'll be glassing from the roads then stalking once I find what I'm looking for. He said it's not uncommon to see pronghorn, elk, and mule deer in the same day. He also said there are Elk tags available for this unit.

My question is, do any of you know this unit? How abundant is the game and is it worth purchasing the Elk tag ($500).

I'm also looking for advice on "glassing" from the road. I'm an Eastern whitetail hunter and this is my first time out West. What strategieshave worked for you? I've already purcahsed a Leoupold 15x-45x60mm spotting scope and have a decent pair of 10X42 binos. I'll be shooting a Stainless Model 700 .300 WSM topped with a Zeiss 4.5x-14x 44mm scope

- So should I purchase the elk tag
- What glassing strategies work for "road glassing"
- Any other advice?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Default RE: Advice on Colorado

road glassing is pretty much staying in your truck and driving around and stopping here and there and glassing an area. Road hunting is a better work.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, even on private property, I like to get away from the roads and trails. Not that you can't do some glassing from the roads, but I would encourage you to hike in a ridge or two and do some glassing from further in. Make sure to have some good optics and a good pair of boots

Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you can always get an elk tag after you see the layout. Can you go early and scout? If not, you can still get an elk tag after the season starts, but you will have to purchase it directly from a DOW office. There are offices in Salida and Monte Vista.