Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

best big game gun...

Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 AM

Default best big game gun...

i have heard some up roar from guys at work about the 300 win mag, and the 300 ultra mag, any input or other suggestions?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 AM

Default RE: best big game gun...

i think the 3oo is a great calibre. personally, i rely on the 30-06 because its always done its job for me! also, the 7mm REM MAG is a prefferred calibre in my family for big game. Its not a question of whats better, get out there and shoot to become great with your personal resources. ballistics tables are also important, keep them in mind.

cheers!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'll bet a dollar the 30-06 will kill 'em just as dead with less recoil. The advantage to the ultra mag is if you miss, you are still likely to bust there ear drums from all the dang racket those things make. That way he can't here you sneaking up on him for the second shot. I personally use a 6.5x55. Taken numerous deer, three exotics, one elk, and will take it with me next week when I head to Minn. after bear. I doubt any of those animals could tell it was a 6.5 and not a whizbang magnum superkiller. The 30-06 has got 'er done for a 100 years and still kick some tail, usually whitetail.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Not to avoid the subject, it just a personal thing. I believe that accuracy is very important. Of course there are minimum requirements to anything. Some folks are confident in using cartridges toward the lower end of the spectrum, while others prefer the added confidence of something toward the larger side. In either case it is very important to be able to place your shots in the proper location regardless of bullet diameter, muzzle velocity, orKenetic energy. That being said I prefer to use the larger calibers provided that my accuracy is not detrimentally affected.

In my opinion the list of Big Game suitable cartridges start at 6.5mm/.264" and goes up if you are including the larger species (ie. elk,moose,caribou etc). Thats not to say that a 6mm/.243or .25 calibers wouldn't kill an elk because they have and will continue to. If your list is confined to those smaller than say an elk/caribou i would definately include those two, as a matter of fact the 25-06 would most likely be my choice.

I prefer to match my cartridge selection to the game rather than try to have one "all-around" cartridge. For Deer sized game I Love my 6.5-284. Given the chance to sheep hunt the 6.5 will be my choice as well. For the larger species I carry the 338 win exclusively. The important thing to keep in mind is that I shoot both equally well. The 338 just doesn't allow as lengthy of range sessions as the 6.5.

When you talk about "all Around" cartridges you are inevitably on the light side for some species, and border on overkill on others. Irregardless my list of "all-around" cartridges are: 264 win mag, 270, 280, 7mm (08/mag), 30-06, 300 (win wsm or Ultra), 338 etc. As you can see the 264 may be on the light side for elk while the 338 would be heavy for a whitetail. So there is no one perfect cartridge. Though The 30 calibers and 7mm's are a very good mid point.A 300 ultra/7 magmay be a little large for the small stuff, and a 30-06/7-08 may be a bit light for the larger but they preform very well in most situations.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM

I only shoot a 30.06 and it kills deer-moose just fine. As for the best i do think it is because well thats what i shoot but as ShatoDavis said. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:22 AM

Some might call this an ambiguous answer. But rather than dwell on one cal or another, I recommend (strongly) that you shoot anything you have the most trust in. If it's 30-30, .308, 7MM, .300WM, etc.
All of them will do the job. And have for years.

I mix that with this advice, shoot the biggest gun you can stand both comfort wise and trust wise. "The bigger the gun, the less tracking!"

On a personal note, I shoot everything from Lopes tp Moose with the .300WM in 180gr. Doesn't tear up the smaller animals, and drops the big ones like a wet card table.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

David E. Petzal of Field & Stream said the .338 Win. Mag. was probably a real all-rounder, if you could stand the recoil.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Pick one, shoot it well and life will be good. Personal fav is the 30-06. Not to big, not to small and has a lot of options with grains, manufacturers, and design. Old reliable, you can find it anywhere.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Got to agree....30-06 can't go wrong for "big game" in the lower 48
Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

30.06 or 300 win mag
I like 338 win mag myself, and it's a good grizz calibler too.

Quick Reply: best big game gun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.