Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 .460 weatherby for antelope? >

.460 weatherby for antelope?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.460 weatherby for antelope?

Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: .460 weatherby for antelope?

The hunt should be entertaining, however to me there is much more to the hunt than splattering an animal to hear the WHOP. The hunt is entertaining, the kill is a small part to me but thats one fools opinion I guess.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

The hunt should be entertaining, however to me there is much more to the hunt than splattering an animal to hear the WHOP. The hunt is entertaining, the kill is a small part to me but thats one fools opinion I guess.
Actually, I think ALL aspects of the hunt are entertaining; however, the threadaddresses the suitability/possibility of taking antelope with 460 Weatherby and the results thereof plus picks up some wild imagings along the way. It does not, however, address the touchy feely/above the fray/nebulousaspect of "how big a part of the overall huntdoes the actual taking of the animal count for?"

All the silly stuff (16" naval gunsand B-52's [even your 8" naval guns on occasion]) is what wouldtruly "splatter" an antelope and make a really big "whop", sorry....

The big bore willsimply make a nice convincing hole and put 'em down without all that much mess, as an antelope just won't provide enough medium to really open it up....unfortunately Ican't change theK-THUD that you apparently find objectionable.

No comment onyour fool's opinion.

And so it goes: big bad hunter, poor little bambi critter
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

The taking of the animal to me is maybe 20 percent. I can only speak for me. Many very entertaining hunts ended up with taking an animal yet the memories of those hunts are next to no others. I can't leave the touchy feely part out when it comes to hunting. Its a passion. I repeat once more for the lovers of recoil, use the 460 with my blessing, it won't hurt me a bit. For some who seem to need their steel tempered , it may lend a hand at that as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Sorry, IMHO no steel hardening as a result of hunting pronghorn no matter the weapon used (even your 8" naval guns).
And so it goes,
Big bad hunter.... poor little bambi critter.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guess I will always be a big bad hunter.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought that it was a comical thread too. My only suggestion is, step up to the .577 Tyrannosaur. Youwill probably need it.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

Be sporting! Place a large sheet of plexi-glass upright in the middle of the bald ass prairie on a known trail to a waterhole or were they slide under a fence at mach II.You might make leg breaking traps with a posthole auger and cover them up if your so inclined.........Get real......................Harold
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 AM

pheasantfanatic sparked my memory. Has everyone on this site see the video of people test firing the.577 T-Rex? If not check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJSZs-euZU
Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the thread crazyguy. I appreciate humor, most the time, considerably more than the stuffy and pompous types that show up in forums more often than not. Really love the Youtube video, I guess there actually is a rifle that kicks more than my 12 gauge slug gun. Maybe if I shot one of these .577's a few times, myslug gunwould feel more like a .22. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: EKM

Nothing like flat out hammering your quarry in the early morning chill....
thesound of a heavy K-THUD on impact.... the heavy smell of prodigous amounts of spent nitrocellulosescenting the air....
Looks, sounds, and smells like victory.

This is classic...lmfaoo I cant quit laughing

Quick Reply: .460 weatherby for antelope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.