Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Tent question.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Tent question.

I’ll be hunting solo again this year, 2nd rifle cow elk in GMU 25/26. Last year I roughed it, slept in the bed of my pick-up, I have a topper. It was cozy and warm, but I’m thinking of stepping up to a heated tent. Last year I visited with a couple hunters up the road who had a wall tent with a stove and it was damn nice. I see my options as going the wall tent route with a stove or perhaps the Cabela’s Big Horn with a stove. I’m also thinking about just getting a big Colemans tent and a propane heater. Just run the heater when I wake-up and to dry clothes.

So my question is, does anybody elk hunt out of a big Colemans tent with a propane heater? How’s it work out for you?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Tent question.

hunted last year at 11,000 ft and tried to use a propane heater. It would make a little heat but not enough to warm the tent. Would dry clothes, but thats about it. It was tough to roll out of your bunk when its about 20 degrees in your tent.

Next trip will include my new Davis wall tent and Cylinder stove with a load of seasoned oak.......

FW
Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 PM

Just a little tip! Heaters with o2 sencers may not work above 7,500' elv. so be sure to check that out before you head this way.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure if I would want to run a heater in a Coleman for an extended amount of time.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use two tents. One is an old army tent for sleeping and the outfitter tent for a mess tent.

On a nice day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/Moose%20Hunt%2006/106-0610_IMG.jpg

and on a little bit cooler day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/Moose%20Hunt%2006/106-0619_IMG.jpg

We hunt on the South Shore of Lake Nipigon located north of Great Lake Superior. The pictures were taken during our moose hunt last October.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Huntaway,

Great pictures. Yesterday I was at a surplus store looking at one of those army tents. How do you like it? The store wants 3-5 hundred for a small tent depending on condition. They also have the larger ones, which is what it looks like you have. The one they had set up in the store was a command tent. I'd have to think the army tent would be pretty tough. I just really like the idea of coming back after a hard day of hunting to a place I can stand up in and get undressed, maybe relax a little and warm up around a stove. I wonder if you can buy the army tents new?

Bugs11
Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 PM

You can get a good wall tent for that 300 to 500 and make a log frame. I don't like the old army tents cause you have to burn a lantern even during the daytime to see in them.
http://www.davistent.com/html/OrderATent.html
Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM

Hmmm, never thought about that.

I've been looking at the Davis Tents website for some time now. Just can't bring myself to drop that kind of change on something I'll use 1 week a year. But then again you can't take it with you. Maybe a 12x14 tent with a small cylinder stove is in my future.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Anyone here ever purchase a wall tent from the “Wall Tent Shop”? The company is based in Moscow, Idaho.

I'm looking at them and Davis Tents in CO.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM

I bought a frame kit last month from them, They ship the day I ordered. The owner is an outdoors man and they will help you with deciding what you really need.

Quick Reply: Tent question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.