Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Youth Hunting

Old 08-04-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Youth Hunting

Hey all. New to the site and I'm looking for recomendations on youth hunting rifles and calibers. My son has been with me on the range and up in the black timber elk hunting, but this is his first year to take a gun. He's a pretty good shot and I don't want to put something too big in his hands that creates bad habbits. Need the knock down power for elk, but as little kick as necessary. If anyone out there has been down this road recently I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:30 AM

Default RE: Youth Hunting

I have read, and re-read ebrashears post. I have given thought to this answer and I am still going to throw it out there knowing that it may be a little too much. MY SUGGESTION HERE IS BASED SOLEY ON A RIFLE WITH THE POWER THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IN A RIFLE THAT HAS LITTLE RECOIL AND IS EASY TO SHOOT.

My answer will probably start a it of an uproar, but just a thought.

I don'tknow how much you have to spend, or are willing to. I don't know how old your boy is, or how big he is.
I do know that for about $1400-1500 or so, Armalite builds a Super Bolt Action Rifle in .308, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Lapua Mag. I personally shoot the .338 and it shoots like a .243. Very managable. It is a bit heavy though. I have friends that have the same in the .308 and the .300 and they tell me it is like shooting a .223 BECAUSE THIS HAS SUCH A MILD RECOIL, i AM RECOMENDING IT. i KNOW IT OTHERWISE MAY BE TOO BIG FOR HIM IN THE FIELD. IT MAY NOT BE, I REALLY DON'T KNOW.

***this rifle does not look like your traditional hunting rifle.***
**designed to be Armalite's premier hunting rifle though**

Like I said, this is a little heavy, 12 lbs maybe with out scope, and sling...but a nice shooting rifle.this is a Rifle that will be shot better off a bipod, orshooting stick due to its size.It is exceptionally accurate right out of the box, and the trigger is adjustable without too much effort. I only reccomend it because you can get it with a big bullet and little recoil so you don't get that bad habit flinch. You get this from a superior muzzle brake

I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER, BETTER CHOICES,but,this is just something maybe to look at.

Check the link below. The Model is the AR 30

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles.htm

Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 AM

NOTE TO ABOVE:

I WOULD BE SUGGESTING THE .300 OR MAYBETHE .308.

I would never reccomend the .338 LM for a youth gun. Still a little stout.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Yep, it would help if I gave you some stats. My son is 12 around 90lbs and 4'6ish. He's pretty sturdy but not real tall. So the issue with rifles maycome down to pull length as much as it does his ability to absorb recoil. Hope this helps! Thanks for the feedback by the way. I'm not ruling anything out on price, but cheaper is better if it's something he's going to out grow in a couple of years. But he does have two younger brothers right behind him, so either way it will get plenty of use.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

EASY... Get him a 30-06. Remington model 710. Comes with a scope and everything. Dead on at two hundred yds out of the box! And with today's manged recoil rounds he will be more then fine shooting that gun. He also will be able to grow with it. And the best part is, it only runs like $450. Great gun for the money. And even with the managed recoil rounds, "which I don't think he will need." he can successfully hunt elk. Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I think you may find a suitable model in 30-06 cal, which would be great,I think you and your son would be much better served in something other than the rem 710. I hear a lot of bad things about them. I think if you buy adecent weapon for him, he may never "grow out of it" except by choice. I have my first rifle from 25 years ago and still enjoy it, when appropriate.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM

I'd look into a Remington 7400 in 270, 308, 30-06. We started out with one in 308 at the age of 12 (90lbs) and the gun was great to shoot. Very little felt recoil! Have never shot one in 270 or 30-06 but really love my 308.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM

OK, The rifle i suggested would probably be a litle to large. Not in terms of the round or recoil by any means. Length and weight I think would be an issue.
I figured that there would be people that have kids that havealready gone through this issues as well andwould be able to give a better suggestion.

In a few years maybe it might be a good choice.

If I can figure out how to pay for it, I would like to pick up the .308 and the.300 to close out my large game rifles.

good luck
Old 08-05-2007, 06:27 AM

Yeah kd, I thought there would bea hand fullout there who have been down this road in recent years.....hell, maybe those guys are all out scoutin with thier kids over the weekend?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fit that description about - oh - 30 years ago, and wound up with a Remington M600 in .243, since Dad thought we'd be hunting deer more than we would elk. Had it been the other way around, I would have ended up with the .308 that sat next to it in the rack at the hardware store. My brother did it a bit differently and ended up with a heavier M77 in .270 - he still flinches, I think.

Here's my suggestion. Short action. If you're hunting elk, look into the 7mm-08 or .308.Either arecapable of taking elk, especially when the hunter behind it is a practiced marksman.Practice becomes painful when the heavy standard ormagnum you brought home pounds his little shoulder into a pulp after 10rounds. Neither the 7mm-08 or .308 will be prone to that. As well, a short action is going to be more carry-friendly to a young hunter, as rifles tend to be a bit lighter.

Drag a kid to the woods to shoot an elk with a rifle that hurts to shoot and is a drag to carry, and he'll likely sit home and play Barbies with little sister next season. You want to promote hunting to him, not punish him, right?

That "little" short-barrelled, light, M600 .243 I cut my teeth on has been subject of many trade/purchase offers over the years, most generally after I've loaned it to friends for their sons and daughters to start deer or antelope hunting with. It's still in my battery, waiting for my kids.

Quick Reply: Youth Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.