Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Elk Hunting in Colorado?

There will be 3 of us going next year and I have a ton of questions for Elk Hunting in Colorado.

First, none of us has ever been there at all..

Anyway, here are my questions and yes I have been trying my best to research the info from other forums and search engines. I just havent been satisfied yet I guess with the info. I hope there are a couple atleast on here that can help ease my mine.

We will be camping out there atleast 2 nights in a row during the hunt, maybe more. So we will be hiking in on foot, no horses.

We are looking at Unit 74, don't know why just we are. Is there a better place?

Are ATV's allowed in these Colorado units?

What kind of backpack should I have? Cubic Inch? Style? Brand?

What are some of the things I might need in my pack or help make camp a little more comfy?

Is it a must have taking a spotting scope or just decent binoculars?

I will be taking some Mountain House freeze dried foods for the outings, first aid kit, water purifier,knife,rain coat,rope,water, maps,compass,GPS,extra clothes.

What else would you take or leave out?

oh yeah, while making camp for atleast 2 nights, what other foods can I pack in besides freeze dried?

This will be a bow hutning trip.
Thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Delete.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM

Option #2, in the middle of nowhere
Old 08-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

They would have to pack it out, no other way if it's the Spike Camp option.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) there are better places if you have preference points. If you don't have nay preference points, I'd suggest in the future that you start applying for them so that someday you guys can hunt the better quality units. Otherwise, there are elk in all the mountain units, it's jsut a matter of learning where they like to hang out.

2) ATV's are allowed on established roads/trails and they must be registered. Even if they are on a trailer but not registered, you can still be fined. I know two guys that this happened to.

3) the size of your pack depends on how comforatble you want to be and how healthy you are. Generally, the bigger the pack that aguy buys, the more crap he'll tend to "need". First, decide what you think you will need and buy a pack accordingly. Keep in mind, IF you kill, you will probably be needing a good frame pack to carry out the meat, unless you hire that to be done, which is a possiblity.

4) if you're worried about being comfortable, better just plan on camping near a road and set up a comfortable wall tent and hike in and out of the hunting area.

5) good bino's will do, unless you're wanting to score a trophy before pursueing it.

6) some wet wipes come in handy, TP, smoe other snacks like maybe trail mix, and if you're confident that you're going to kill, good game bags.

7) jerky, gatorade powder which might help you drink more and drink more often, high altitude makes a guy dehydrate quicker.

I'm sure some other guys will add to the list.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun308

They would have to pack it out, no other way if it's the Spike Camp option.
Well...DUH!

LOL!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not necassarily! There are outfitters that will pack your animal out for you, for a fee of course!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Delete.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 AM

We are planning on packing it out ourselves. I have heard plenty of talk around this forum on hiring people to pack it out for you for a fee, so what do they charge?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 AM

Howler. What do you mean preference points? I think we have changed it to unit 751 for a starting place unless you or some other guys can point us into better units? Which that would be nice.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting in Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.