HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   elk calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/198874-elk-calls.html)

sffguitar 07-23-2007 03:49 PM

elk calls

what are some of the best bugle calls, and cow elk calls I can buy?

Howler 07-23-2007 04:17 PM

RE: elk calls

I rarely use my bugle tube and I don't remember exactly which model it is but it is made by Primos and it's thier smaller bugle that they make, but it works good enough for its purpose. My favorite cows cows are the hyper-lip, single and double and beleive it or not I still use the hoochie moma alot and the other call I use most of the time is actually a custom open reed predator call which does a wonderful selection of different pitched cow/calf sounds.

game4lunch 07-23-2007 06:01 PM

Bugle call of choise (and used very sparingly . . . to locate mostly) is the Power Bugle by E.L.K. Inc. in Montana. They have a large variety of hunting videos as well.

My favorite cow call is the Hyper lip single and double by Primos.

Elk calling is not the answer to successful elk hunting. Most elk huntersin my corner of the elk world will tell you the elk are becoming call shy. They know it ain't one of them AND exactly where you are! Anymore I'll use the bugle IF I hear them first to locate, then it's run-&-gun. Go to them using the cow call to cover my noise and movement to get in close. Not likely to Bring one in like on T.V. Alot of those shows are on private property or even (God forbid) high fence ranches.

Howler 07-23-2007 08:40 PM

Not always true game4lunch. Our group killed 3 elk last year and all of them died because they came to cow calls, on public land. We took two bulls and a cow and we should've had a 4th tag filled, but the kid missed, at 32 yards,the largest elk that we got called in last year.

sffguitar 07-23-2007 09:54 PM

yeah I deff want to spot and stalk em, but I want to be able to locate them first.

usa 07-23-2007 11:53 PM

We killed 2 with the bow last year, 1 wyo,1 NM both were bugled in and the 3rd in wyo with the rifle came in to a series of Hoochie Mama calls

Colorado Luckydog 07-24-2007 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: sffguitar

what are some of the best bugle calls, and cow elk calls I can buy?
Anything made by primos! I only usediaphram calls now because they free up both hands and they sound better.

Knowing how to call elk can help you become very successful elk hunter! They can be used to call in elk and to cover your noise as you stalk! Knowing you called one in and killed it is much more satisfying than just being there when they walk by!:)

elknut1 07-24-2007 07:24 AM

Calling elk is an art, just making elk sounds is not! A bugle is an important part of ones needed tools in the elkwoods. If one wants to do more than just blow a high pitch classic bugle sound then mouth reeds with a grunt tube are best. Most external reeded bugles are easily picked out as human bugles, although many times they can get elk to respond it's tough at times to finish them off with them without tons of practice, & then only a few can get it done. Go with the mouth reeds & put in your time, in a few days time you'll do good with dilligent practice.

Rockies calls are best, primos calls are good but I prefer the others. The Scream N Tormentor is user friendly & can make all needed elk sounds by both cows & bulls.

Spot & Stalk as you mention is a good way to locate & find elk at a distance along with selective sounds that will get elk or ask elk for a response. It's the sounds you use that will make the difference. Most who say bugling is not good & only chase away the elk, can't bugle themselves or have little confidence in it, they lack the practice & confidence that's needed to sound like an elk. More importantly one needs to be equipped with all needed calls to be versatile & ready for all encounters. Making sense to elk with the right sounds at the right time is no accident. It comes with knowledge & a real desire to be good at your game! Here's a real life example of being prepared for any situation!!!

Your Spot & Stalk takes you to a herd of elk with a decent shooter bull in it, you wait for them to hit the timber so you won't be seen & Indian in on them, you get the wind right & proceed. You've done no calling to alert the herd of your presence, not even cow calling. As you get ahead of them you see a few cows making it your way, you need to move to a slightly different location to get in their path for a shot, especially if you're bowhunting. As you move to better your position you're caught by 2 unseen cows that were there feeding, they're staring you down hard & are ready to bark & blow the whole thing! Now What????

If you are prepared & have the needed confidence/knowledge & the right tools, bugle--cow call--or mouth reed, then that's a dead herd bull. This isn't a what if! It happens quite regularly to many hunters, few kill the bull, most cow call & watch the herd bolt off, bad decision! Some bugle & get a quick response but don't know how to follow up & eventually lose out as well. --- Point is, be prepared for any encounter & be willing to adapt to the immediate set of circumstances, make sounds that make sense to elk per encounter, your freezer will be fuller if you do! (grin)

ElkNut1

RMA 07-24-2007 07:33 AM

The MASTER (elknut) responds...he can answer ALL your questions. Now bow down as I do. :D

Keith Miller 07-24-2007 11:11 AM

use the Hootchie Momma