Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Trail cam picture of mountain lion in SC >

Trail cam picture of mountain lion in SC

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Trail cam picture of mountain lion in SC

Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail cam picture of mountain lion in SC

As for the black panthers the US, the majority of people are skeptical. I said in the forum "black panthers in the hunting woods," that there are black panthers in SC, and I know its hard to believe. Well, this atleast proves that there are big cats in SC. Ya see this pic?

This was caught on a trail cam about 40 miles to northwest of Columbia, SC. I was given the special opportunity with 4 other people to hunt on an Outfitter (not yet, but very soon to be) about 6 miles down the road from this spot. The outfitter owner (also has sighted black panther on his 3000 acres) said it was true, and of course, I was skeptical. But after stopping at a local home-business store and saw this picture on the wall, I couldnt beleive it. I asked the owners, and they vouched for the outfitter owner.

Of course sightings are just sightings without pictures. As for what me and my family saw, the only reasonable answer I can come up with is a black panther.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail cam picture of mountain lion in SC

A couple of things that bother me about this pic is:

#1) I don't think a cougar could get this close to a deer without the deer picking up on this threat, and the cat seems to not be in a "pursuing mode", just merely curious.

#2) I don't think this is a whitetail rump. As far as I know, SC only has whitetails.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you know that one of the cougar's most common prey are deer? a cougar could easily stalk a deer without it knowing. they need that ability to survive. it's designed for it.

And like always, there is room for suspicion. but i know this is real, so i'm sticking to my story. and by the looks of the deer, the rump doesn't look like a mulie, it's not a blacktail, it's not a key deer... i don't know what else it could be other than a whitetails. it looks to be a whitetail to me.

*as for the edit, I left out a few words
Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

It looks more like a mule deer than a whitetail to me.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 PM

I would have to say that a lion might (maybe) be able to get that close without a deer knowing. But why would it? Once inside 20 yards, the lion would have it dead to rights. Not saying that this didn't happen, as it very well might have. But that is no whitetail! Rump and tail are all wrong to be a whitetail. Looks a lot closer to a mulie then whitetail. If you look close at the ear on the deer it looks very large, much like a mulie. But what do I know. Cool pic though!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand where everyone is coming from. I don't curse anyone for being suspicious. I didn't believe it either! But the shop owner had a picture on his wall and vouched for the outfitter owner. These people don't even know each other. That's how I am convined this is real. The shop owner mentioned a newspaper clip of the incident, but I'm pretty sure this would be many newspapers across the state. As for the lion being so close, I have no idea why it got so close. And like I said about when family members and my buddy craig and me spotting that huge black cat, I have no other explanation than a black panther. Although, grandma has been giving house kitty steroids.....
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

South Carolina, eh...??..

Funny, because I've seen that picture of the cougar behind the mule deer on the net about a dozen times in the last five years... Each time, it has supposedly taken in a different area... Recently somone posted it and claimed it was taken near my home here in western NY...That cat and that deer sure do GET AROUND, and it appears that the cat hasn't caught the deer YET...

Kinda like the coyote and the roadrunner..........
Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I know for a fact that picture is real. And to prove it, here is a picture of the pig I shot two months ago.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The aft leg of that "mule deer", which as of December, were not exactly common in SC (not the Lowcountry anyway), looks like it came off a horse. Moreover, a lion would not be stalking that close to its prey, it would have pounced already.

That shot has made its rounds on the net. Obviously photoshopped, and relatively poorly at that.

Chris, I know you are excited, but you don't have to prove anything bro.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

That pic has been on the internet since the inception of the internet. It is bogus. There have been several variations of this pic. There have been pics of just the deer and just the cougar by themselves. This pic has been said to be taken in Illinois, Carolinas, Ohio, Maryland, and several other states.

One thing is definite. That deer is either a mule deer or a black tail. Neither of which exist East of Kansas.

However to what you saw, there are definetly cougars and panthersin the Carolinas.

Quick Reply: Trail cam picture of mountain lion in SC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.