Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New Mexico Governors Elk Tag!!!! >

New Mexico Governors Elk Tag!!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico Governors Elk Tag!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Default New Mexico Governors Elk Tag!!!!

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have the story of the year for a humble little blog and website called HuntingLife.com. Several months ago Ben Nicholson was looking for some information on the Valles Caldera Wildlife Management area in New Mexico and he ran a search on google and up popped my article on how to apply for tags for the opportunity to hunt elk there. About that same time we also had a post about the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation holding a raffle for the New Mexico Governors tag for elk. Ben followed the link to the Valles Caldera and learned that he had missed the deadline and on a whim came back to HuntingLife.com and decided to buy a raffle ticket for the that RMEF raffle for the tag.

HE WON!

I got a comment on that post just after the raffle was finished and Ben was looking to sell the tag. New Mexico is the only state that allows you to transfer the tag if you have purchased it and/or won the tag. He asked me if he should put it up on ebay and I thought about it for two seconds and decided that might not be the best way to sell such a valuable item like this tag.

I put Ben in touch with a couple of people I knew just might have the connections out there to sell this tag and he is working the phones and now we are working the phones on his behalf. In talking to Ben, I agreed to assist him in the sale of this tag if he would agree to donate 10% of the proceeds to Conservation. He has already agreed to buy a life membership in the RMEF and if we can assist him in selling the tag through HuntingLife.com then he will confirm with us once he has completed the sale where he is donating the 10% and we will bring the story here to all of you.

Of course we now have competitors who are also trying to sell the tag on his behalf but if they assist him, he is going to have to pay them 10% and the money will not be guaranteed to go to conservation.

I will not in any way take or receive a single dime to assist him in selling this tag. I just think this is the coolest story of the year for this fledgling website called HuntingLife.com.

A little bit about Ben Nicholson

Ben has been hunting since 1984 and is mostly a water fowler and upland game hunter but likes to forage into the world of whitetail deer and black bear. His father Tom and good friend Jim got Ben started in the world of hunting with a hunters safety course and many trips to the field together. Ben is married to a wife(Rachel) whom he describes as wonderful and for the last 8 years they have been quite happy together along with a German Wirehair named Clyde. Living in Iowa City, IA and working as a loan officer for a local bank, Ben has been able to balance a great family life with some great hunting time.

Ben said, "I've been wanting to go elk hunting for years and will be making my first elk hunting trip this fall."

I tried to convince Ben that this was the hunt of a lifetime and his comments were, "I can go on a lot of hunts with the proceeds from the sale of this tag. I would really like you to sell it so that 10% can go towards conservation" was his last comment on our phone call.

How this is going to work.

Team Hunting Life (which is currently only myself - Kevin Paulson) will be taking emails from perspective buyers for this tag. You will need to make a full offer and include your name, address, phone number and email and we will be in touch with each and every one of you. I will make an initial call to you to determine if you are serious and then put you in direct touch with Ben Nicholson and you will work out the deal directly with him. Once that deal is complete, Ben will donate his 10% to conservation and we will report the story to all of you along with the details. My email is [email protected]!

This tag is for
Species: One bull elk
Area: Hunt in any unit in the state on public land
or private land with permission
Dates: September 1- December 31, 2007
Weapon: Legal weapon of choice during any season.

The opportunity for a 400 class bull anywhere in the state of New Mexico is what your buying here. This will be the hunt of a lifetime. This tag is priceless to the right person so please be very serious in your offers.

Let the bidding begin!!!!!!!!

www.huntinglife.com
Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Mexico Governors Elk Tag!!!!

I'm sorry. I know that tag is valuable and would be a great one to have and I'm sure you (or someone else in your buddy's behalf) will find a buyer probably willing to pay an exhorbitant amount, but it just doesn't seem right, to me.

Why apply for the tag if all you were going to do was turn around and sell it??? Are special tags now to be seen as "capital gains" items? I don't fault your buddy particularly as I'm sure with the amount of money that can be made, it is a great temptation.

However, it seems to me that something is wrong with the system here and, imo, the tag should never be transferrable (unless something tragic happened to the recipient). In any case, imo, it should not be allowed to be sold at a profit.

Tell your buddy to make sure he reports the amount of profit on his 1040 next year...only right in this kind of a deal.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 PM

I understand your point and I agree with it to be honest with you! I think the state of New Mexico should end the transfer of special or governors tags! That being said, I really want to help this guy sell it before a booking agent or outfitter sells the tag for him so that at least 10% can go directly to conservation!

The reason he bought the raffle ticket for this hunt was to make a donation to charity and this is a person who is an upstanding American citizen and I am sure he will report the income on his taxes!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:51 PM

ahhhhh, nevermind
Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with hillbilly 100% on this one. It appears Manboy may be also.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Iapplied for this tag also, but I would have used it since hunting means more to me than what I could get for the tag. Having had cancer recently and just had a pacemaker installed (at 50) I would have done the hunt. Now my question is...Why should he report it on his taxes? If I sell my home after living in it for two or more years I don't have to claim captiol gains tax unless it sell for over a million dollars so why should he claim it on his taxes? I you sell your car for more than you paid for it would you claim it on your taxes? If you sell your gun collection would you claim it on your taxes...I think not! Please correct me if I'm wrong on this topic...but it's just another piece of property.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

AZBear,

You are technicallyrequired to pay taxes on any from of income or(profit)that you make except in certain circumstances.

Your house being one ofthose special circumstances(provided you have lived in that house for two or more years and have not sold another house under this same exception in the last 5 years. Maximum profit for MFJ is actually 500,000.00). Cars don't count as theydepreciate in value (except in rare circumstances).

Regular guns usually are never reported (and usually don'tappreciate that much anyway, plus you could always make a case for the possible expenses (ie gunsmithing, cleaning etc, on that).An exception would be if you bought Abraham Lincolns "squirrel rifle" for 5000.00 and sold it later for 15,000.You'd owe tax on the 10,000.

Most all other appreciable items (stocks, land, any profitable investment), you would owe tax (perhaps capital gains (which is usually lower) or regular income tax(depending on the circumstance)).

Although I mentioned"capital gains" in my original post, this item would definately fall under regular income tax (most capital gain investments have to be held for at least a year). Whether or not this would be looked at by the IRS as "investment income" (filed under schedule D--short term in this case) or just miscellaneous income (like bingo winnings or a lottery ticket) is kind ofirrelevant as it will be taxed at the same rate. But, If this guy bought a elk lottery ticket for $50.00 (or whatever) and sold it for5000.00 (or whatever) the IRS would expect him to pay regular tax on the difference---just like if you won a Harley in a raffle--technically you would owe tax on the retail price of the bike (or what you immediately sold it for, if that was the case) minus what you spent on the ticket.

If the guy is going to make a substantial profit from something like this, he deserves to pay tax, imo. Whatever part he gives to charity he may be able to deduct, depending on his particular circumstance.

Hope this helps
hb
Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 AM

I am newly join this site. I think New Mexico Governors Elk Tag this type of site all educated and business people more then using. I think New Mexico Governors Elk Tag educated people more then helpfulness. So i think this type of site join the interest people 60% in worldwide.
================
johnleave
new mexico drug rehab
Old 03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I drew it I'm pretty certain it would be for sale!

I recently received a thing from NA elk foundation or whatever with raffle tickets for sale....$20 could get you a tag you can sell for 45k... I think this does make more people apply...knowing they can resell it, and if that money goes towards a good cause then perhaps it's a good thing.

Whether that should be allowed or not I'm not sure. I do know I wish more tags were transferable, but at the sametime I understand then draw odds would be even worse as everyone would be having relatives putting in for tags etc...

Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: johnleave9

I am newly join this site. I think New Mexico Governors Elk Tag this type of site all educated and business people more then using. I think New Mexico Governors Elk Tag educated people more then helpfulness. So i think this type of site join the interest people 60% in worldwide.
================
johnleave
new mexico drug rehab
not to be rude or anything...but what the heck was that supposed to say???

Quick Reply: New Mexico Governors Elk Tag!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.