Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Anyone ever seen the huge pronghorns on the Wyo highway? >

Anyone ever seen the huge pronghorns on the Wyo highway?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Anyone ever seen the huge pronghorns on the Wyo highway?

Old 06-16-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone ever seen the huge pronghorns on the Wyo highway?

In August 2004, we went to Nebraska's panhandle to go to my great-grandad's funeral, and we had flown into Denver, and driven up to Nebraska, and when we were done in Nebraska, and it was time to go back, my dad made the mistake of going back to Denver, by taking the highway in Wyoming, that runs in almost over half the length of the state! I think it's the one you take to Yellowstone, and well we lost so much time going that way, but my dad figured it would be faster just because it's the highway.

The thing about the drive was, it was rather scenic, and time and time again, we would see deer, but we would also see HUGE pronghorns, about no more than 275-325 yards away, sometime much closer, we would stop the car, get out the binoculars, and look at those antelope, which were looking at us, those pronghorns seemed tp be bigger than the deer! They had good size horns on them, too.
I thought than pronghorns were supposed to be small, aren't they?

These suckers were darnbig, very beautiful.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, able to relate to it at all? Or did I just waste non-valuable bandwith?
I was just impressed by those pronghorns, like I said, we were in Northern Wyoming, driving on the highway, or inter-state or something, and there were huge pronghorns.

I have the wierd feeling I just made myself look like an absolute moron.....
Old 06-16-2007, 06:45 AM

Default RE: Anyone ever seen the huge pronghorns on the Wyo highway?

Sure they were'nt Jackalopes?

Old 06-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the reason they were so big would be that no one can hunt near the highway, or shoot in the direction of the highway, so the pronghorns probably don't have much fear there.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:50 PM
car
Typical Buck

I have antelope hunted in Wy 3 times with great success. They might look big from the road or looking at them with bino but, after there down on the groundyou will see thetrue size of them. Some are bigger than others but, not anything close to deer size. They are fun to hunt and I am looking forward to hunting them again. car
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Pretty common site along the highways of SD, WY, and eastern MT.
They aren't as big as you think. The bucks weigh about 100#.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder why they look so big, maybe because they're tall?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 AM

Younggun
There no taller than a deer.

They might look big to you because they are barrel chested and pencil legged.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun308

I wonder why they look so big, maybe because they're tall?
Maybe it's because there is little to compare them to. They are probably standing in sagebrush and nothing else around to get a comparisson to.
I've had clients from back east tell me they are about the same size as their small white tails.
Adult Pronghorns may be from 4-4 1/2 feet long, 3-3 1/2 feet high, males weigh 100-150 pounds, females 75-100 pounds.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you're right, but it's amazing how on the highway they look like they're the size of the Greater African Kudu, it's weird, but, you're right, they can't be too big.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: younggun308

I guess you're right, but it's amazing how on the highway they look like they're the size of the Greater African Kudu, it's weird, but, you're right, they can't be too big.
Being from the east also, where it's very seldom that we see a big gameanimal standing in ankle high grass out in thousands of acres of open terrain, they do look big. Our first trip out to Montana, the outfitters were impressed with our ability to spot and hit deer at long range. We asked them how could anyone miss when it's a 250 lb. deer standing broadside in the wide open! We're used to shooting ata neck or shoulderof a deer in cover so thick that you rarely see the whole deer until after you've taken it.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever seen the huge pronghorns on the Wyo highway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.