Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 hunting w/ outfitter newbie here >

hunting w/ outfitter newbie here

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hunting w/ outfitter newbie here

Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM

Default hunting w/ outfitter newbie here

Ive been a missourri deer hunter since I was old enough to go. allways went down to some bodys place, asked permission to hunt and if permission was given id go hunting. id allways close any gates I opened and tried to be courteouse as possible.
Now ive been a soldier in Irak for the last year and have been thinking about what kind of vacation I want to take. And ive allways wanted to go carabou or go after elk some where where they have never even seen a fence before in there lives. that would be the thing.
Thing is Ive never worked with an out fitter before or guide. and I dont know the lay of the land there. for instance, I dont know if I can go this fall or does it take to long to plan this?
I was wondering if any one knew of a good outfitter in the USA for wild elk (no tame fenced in, live like cattle things) kind of a hunt/camp trip?
I really would appreciate some advice on this endeavor. thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 07:28 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting w/ outfitter newbie here

Call Crazy Horse Outfitters here in CO. Ask for Willie and tell him Don sent you. He can fit any need you have and will treat you like family.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM

i am a new outfitter in wyoming and tags are always available in our area. We have alarge private cattle ranch with wild elk on it. They do see fences but they just step over them and go where ever they want. We try to fence them out not in. We are more open country, not a typical farest elk hunt, but a succesful huntfor desert elk or migrating elk. Let me know if you want more info.
Peterson Outfitters

Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine went on a Mule Deer hunt in Nevada, and said it was great, saw 400 Mule Deer the whole time he was there, I guess a week.

They do elk also, Humbolt's Outfitter's, my friend said the guy to talk to would be Wilde Brough.

http://nvhunting.com/about_us.html
Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM

Switchback,

Finding the right outfitter can be a difficult process, which is why we do what we do. As a booking agent for many outfitters with many hunting options, we are able to find the right one for you, the one who offers what you are looking for. We have hunted with all of the outfitters we represent and we send many clients to them, so we know they will do a great job for you. I would be happy to talk with you about options for hunting and outfitters.

This fall is not too late to plan a hunt. It is good to plan hunts as far out, over a year or more, as possible, and many outfitters are already fullfor this fallor the time for obtaining a tag has already passed, but there are outfitters with openings left and some states have over the counter or outfitter sponsored tags that you can get. For example, we have a first class outfitter in Idaho that offers great elk hunting who has openings available this fall and easy to obtain tags.

Check out our website, give me a call, or email me, and we can talk options. I hope you find the hunt you are looking for whether through us or any other way. And by the way, thanks for serving!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys have a very incredible selection and website.

It's fun to see all of those outfitters and the trophy pics.

Have you hunted with any of them?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Spike

I would highly recommend using a booking agent to help you out. I would recommend Cabelas to get you started. They have already done the homework for you so that you don't book with a bad outfitter and get burned like I did this past year. They are very knowledgable and will help you through the whole process. I spoke to Jason Berger and he is definitely who I am using for my next hunt. Good luck.